Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Ribs

A friend brought me these just now....Thawing as we speak. Any suggestions??Jerod Broussard or anyone who has done these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	273910

We never bothered. We just got the meat to make sausage. I honestly wanted to try a rack this year, alas it takes a deer to get deer ribs. Go figure. Always wondered how lean they would be.

Comment

I have done them. Pretty lean so dry out quickly. May want to baste or sauce frequently. They turn out OK, but they'll never replace good pork or beef ribs. Like Jerod P Broussard usually just rib meat ends up in the "to grind" bucket.

Comment

Oooh sous vide.

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          Sous vide machine at city house. Forgot to bring to the country house...oops..

HorseDoctor Going to have to find a way to make it work. It's what is for dinner tonight.

My plan so far is dry brine (which is now), MHMD, wrap with bacon, SnS with apple wood for 2 + hours, wrap with a little apple juice, apple cider vinegar and onion until tender, then sauce and sear.

Open to any and all suggestions.

We have venison burgers for back up.

Pics to follow.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ziploc(s) + stock pot + digital thermo =redneck SV setup. Season, bacon wrap, finish with smoke, sauce, sear...be very gentle.
          Then, there's Mr. Steam, as well...

Scroll down to some smokey ribs.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...d-cuts-venison

Comment

In the end I decided to braise the ribs. It went like this: Dry brine 2 hours, MHMD, top with bacon, splash of apple cider vinegar, splash of apple juice, 1/2 cup of coffee, foil pan tightly, 250 degree oven for 3 hours, lightly sauce, back in oven for 30 minutes. Broil for 3 minutes or so to crisp the top. Serve with gorgonzola twice baked potatoes and grilled asparagus...

Ribs were moist, tender and delicious. Not greasy or tallowy at all. No need to throw venison rib meat is the grinder. Was OMG good!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	274313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	274312Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	274311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	274310

Comment

Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

Great, now you got me really regretting not getting a deer this year.

Comment

Man this looked good!! troymeister

Comment

I almost was getting discouraged before this cook. A lot of people and websites were saying that the deer ribs were a bad cut. However I kew there must be a way to make them good. My initial plan was to follow this method: http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?p=1379

Right around the time I was going to start the fire I realized I had to take my dog to the vet. Being pressed for time I opted to braise. This way they would be cooking while I was away. When I returned I figured I put them on the SnS with a little smoke. When I opened the foil they smelled sooo good. I saw the ribs were delicate and may fall apart. So I figured might as well leave them and broil at the end. They turned out good beyond expectation.

Comment

I know this is a little older post, but since I'm new here, I figure I'll get away with it

is this a recipe you made up, or did you get it from somewhere? I'd like to take a look at the actual recipe, if there is one, so I could print it out for future use. I usually just cut away the meat and throw it in the pile that goes in the grinder. I'm really interested in trying this.

Comment

• troymeister
                      troymeister commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Btw thanks for the kind words. I hope it works out for you when you bag a deer. 😄

I did make the recipe up. Just used knowledge and experience to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by troymeister View Post
                      I did make the recipe up. Just used knowledge and experience to make it work.
                      Cool!! I figured, but just wasn't sure. I've saved it for later use. I really want to try it! It looked amazing! does it have a coffee flavor to it or is that not very noticeable?

Comment

• troymeister
                        troymeister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The coffe is an enhancement. Don't really detect coffe flavor but one layer in many layers of flavor. I use it fairly often but sparingly.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here