Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Chops

A friend gave me these beautiful bear chops. I am thinking of making bear kebobs but I am very open to suggestion. Any tips on cooking, seasoning?

This will be my first time cooking bear. I do know they must be cooked to 160 and be held there for 3 minutes.

My tools are Weber 22.5 w/SnS , Cast iron.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	266039

The Mayo clinic says 145 plus a three minute wait will suffice. I myself would be more than happy to go to 165.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, I think your advice is sage! I am not sure I would depend on Mayo for Wild Game Recipecs? Like You My preference would be for +165*F! No expert but I have been told Trichinosis is prevalent in Bear Meat just like Pork!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

troymeister, I have eaten a bit of Bear once or twice but I have never Prepared It! Bear are generally not Considered Native to ND anymore! Grizzley Bear were apparently abundant along the Missouri River when Lewis and Clark came Upriver in Western ND! Check with Spinaker Rumor has it he hunts bear with a Switch! He probably knows of a Good Recipe or where to find one! There are Many Wild Game Recipe Book available! I would wait for a bit to see if someone can be more help to You! If all else Fails I would Cook Your B-Chops like thick Pork Chops to +165* F!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

We cooked bear a lot up in Alaska. Depending on the bears diet will change the meat drastically. If it was a fish eating bear, toss the meat or pressure cook it with a ton of spices. On the other hand if the bear was a fruit and nut bear, stand back, and hold my beer...AMAZING!! low and slow with a dalmatian rub is what we ran with. Finished it with some butter and light garlic paste mixture and it was very very good.

Good luck

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        This makes sense to me. What does the meat taste like?

• Jeff_Carley
        Jeff_Carley commented
        Editing a comment
        depending on how you treat it and how long it has been dead, it can become gamey.... however, when done right it is close to dear, but a tad sweater. texture is like a pork loin

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        This bear was harvested in the far North of Wisconsin.

Bear taste depends on what it eats. I've had some that was great & some that my dogs wouldn't eat, and they some nasty chit! Cook it like pork. If it's been frozen for a while trichinosis is less a concern, but I would take it to above 145 anyway. I don't worry about commercial pork anymore, but bear meat or feral hog get cook to trichinosis safe levels even if they have been frozen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here