Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook Elk Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook Elk Roast

My buddy gave me an "Elk Roast" to cook and he doesn't know what cut it is. I am wondering if I should cook it like a chuck roast( low and slow) or like a sirloin roast(till medium rare). is there a way to tell what cut it is? Any advice helps since I am completely new to wild game.

Elk is pretty lean, similar to deer venison If what you have is elk chuck it might be ok to do the low & slow, but chances are it'll be best at medium rare. Do you have a pic of the roast so we could have a better way to help figure it out?

Comment

Even if it's elk chuck, it won't have enough fat to do low & slow. I would do it like a Baltimore Pit Beef. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/..._pit_beef.html

Comment

here is a pic of the roast

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Very well boned, trimmed & tied! May well be a shoulder roast. I'll stick with my Baltimore Pit Beef suggestion. Cook to medium rare and slice thin. Cold leftovers make GREAT sandwiches, with rye bread, mayo and horseradish!!! Enjoy!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here