Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game recipe resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game recipe resource

I posted this as a response in the thread about pheasant recipes but I though I could give it its own thread to make it easier to find in the future.

I have found a really cool blog with great wild game recipes. It's called From Field to Plate. The writers name is Jeremiah and he hunts and butchers 100% of the meat he feeds his family. I've made several of his recipes and they are really good. He has a youtube channel too with videos about butchering and processing. Check him out if you get a chance.
    Last edited by LangInGibsonia; June 5, 2016, 10:12 AM.

LangInGibsonia! Thanks a Million for the Stand Alone Link! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks for the link.... I wish that site had something for Goose Breast other than jerky...

My in-laws hunt more than my family but they know I love to grill and smoke (which they don't do as much) and have started to ask me if I would smoke or grill up various things for them... Always looking for new ideas....

Comment

Years ago I read an article that said you should treat wild goose and duck breast like any other red meat. I tried grilling some goose breast to medium rare, and it was good, tasted like steak.

Here's a link for wild duck and goose recipes:

There used to be a hotel in Eagle Lake, TX, that catered to goose hunters, called the Farris 1912. They published a cook book privately. I have seen it on eBay.

I will make a copy of their recipe and post it later.

George
      Last edited by gcdmd; May 3, 2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

HELYN'S (FARRIS) GOOSE GUMBO

When one cooks "by ear" it is often difficult to put directions on paper so-o-o-o here goes on Helyn's Goose Gumbo - you might find your taste buds will require some adjustments.

2 large geese (or 4 ducks - see note below*)
        Bacon drippings for seasoning geese
        2 heaping c. bacon drippings (or cooking oil) for roux
        2 c. flour
        2 c. finely diced celery
        2 c. finely diced bell pepper
        2 1/2 c. finely chopped onions
        3 large cloves garlic – minced
        4 dozen raw oysters and their liquor - optional
        1 bunch green onions - minced
        Salt, black pepper and cayenne
        Gumbo filé powder

For geese:
        Place clean geese seasoned liberally with salt, black pepper and cayenne in a shallow baking or roasting pan.

Insert celery tops, quarters of onion in the cavity. Drizzle melted bacon drippings over breasts. Place in a 400o F oven. After 1 hour of roasting time, pour small amount of boiling water into roasting pan - enough to cover bottom of pan and to create steam to tenderize geese. Cover with heavy aluminum foil (placing shiny side turned toward the geese). Seal very well around edges of pan so steam cannot escape. Lower oven
        temperature to 325o F and continue to bake for 2 to 3 hours or until meat turns loose from the bone. Remove from oven and from roasting pan to cool enough to handle.

Deglaze roasting pan by adding a cup or two of boiling water and stirring to loosen pan drippings. Save this to add to gumbo later.

When geese are cool enough to handle, remove skin and discard. Remove all meat from bones, discard bones, and dice meat.

*Note about duck: Duck is so much more tender than goose. Less cooking time is required. Roast for only 30 minutes.

Make a roux:
        A roux is the heart of a good gumbo or sauce piquant. It is the heavy, smoky paste that is indigenous to Cajun cooking. If not approached properly the results of the dish will not be satisfactory. A heavy pot is a must to make a correct roux. The heavier the pot, the easier the job will be. A large cast iron Dutch oven is ideal.

First, begin by putting a kettle of water on to boil as this is essential when the time arrives to add it to the roux. You must always add boiling water to a roux. It is very important not to change the temperature of the roux by adding cold water. It will curdle or separate the flour and water from the bacon fat. Most gumbo cooks agree that it is best to use slightly more cooking fat or oil than flour.

Second, begin heating bacon drippings (or oil) in heavy pot over medium heat. Stir in the flour. Stir continuously, I prefer a wire whisk for this step. It is important that the flour not be allowed to stick or burn. Continue stirring and browning the flour until it is the color of dark cocoa. I like my roux to be very dark for goose gumbo.

Complete the gumbo:
        Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for about 20 minutes, stirring often, or until vegetables are limp. Heat reserved pan drippings to boiling point and add to roux. Next, add about 3 quarts of boiling water, very slowly, stirring constantly to keep mixture smooth, creating a rich brown soup.

Add diced goose. Simmer until all flavors have blended well, a minimum of 45 minutes.

Taste - add salt, black pepper and cayenne as needed. Flavor should be hot and spicy.

If using oysters, add just before serving, cooking only until the edges curl and they are heated thoroughly.

Skim any excess oil from top of gumbo.

Serve gumbo over steamed rice in individual soup bowls, sprinkling the top with a tablespoon of minced green onion and a 1/4 teaspoon of gumbo filé.

Gumbo freezes very well. Containers of gumbo take up much less space in the freezer than whole birds.

This same recipe may be adapted for a chicken gumbo or seafood gumbo. It is tasty with a little sausage added to the goose, chicken or seafood gumbo.

Comment

Love some good gumbo. Thanks for sharing. "Anything that walks, flys, swims or crawls." It's all delicious!

Comment

After this brisket pastrami goes I'm going to make some with deer back strap. I should have 4 in the freezer. No sous vide needed.

Comment

Love sum gumbo!!! Been to the Farris in Eagle Lake to meet some goose hunting friends a few years ago, but not had the goose gumbo. Need to give that recipe a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here