Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iguana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iguana?

At my local Korean-Latino supermarket -- the only place I consistently find whole brisket -- I spotted a pack of iguana meat and was wondering if anyone had tried to barbecue iguana.

I lived in Central America for a few years, and iguana was mainly consumed in a soup (soap de garrobo). A Google search mostly turned up travelogues of eating barbecue iguana in Tiajuana, without recipes.

Welcome any thoughts on the feasibility/how to cook -- it'd be fun to do some garrobo the next time we have our friends from our time in El Salvador over! Thanks!

Hmmm, that's the one thing Meathead forgot to include on his temperature magnet! I would definitely suggest a temp of well done for starters, but as you can probably guess I have no real idea. I'm just thinking what I'd do to be safe on my first attempt. SeriousEats.com has this video (link below)...although it's not a recipe per se... They say it tastes like a combo of chicken and crab, and another website compares it to a combo of chicken & rabbit.

Over the course of thirty years, the Island of Boca Grande in Florida went from having zero Iguanas to over 10 thousand. This invasive species was making it impossible…
    Last edited by Huskee; April 3, 2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

At the state fair they would put it on a stick, batter it, and deep fry it.

Comment

Being reptilian, it should taste similar to rattlesnake or alligator. I've had both of those and wouldn't recommend low and slow for that type of meat. It's too lean and I think it would be VERY chewy. Sautéed in garlic herb butter or battered and deep fried would be my first thoughts. I bet you could sub iguana for any 'gator recipes you find on the interwebs. Reptile meat that I've had has a mild flavor (think chicken) with a firm texture (overcooked lobster tail) but still juicy.

Comment

BrentC, Isn't Iguanna commonly referred to as Chicken of the Tree? I don't know if that means you cook it like Chicken?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Also known as Bamboo Chicken

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts on iguana. I'll likely buy some either this weekend or in a couple weeks and will experiment. Will report back.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I would check with someone at the market that you can buy it at. Someone there might have some information on how to cook it and maybe even a recipe.🤔

I got curious and started searching around... You are right, there isn't a lot of grilled or barbecued recipes. I did find some stuff that said and/or looked like they were going over open flame at a higher heat level 450 ish.

This is the perfect opportunity for you to become our expert, write some techniques and recipes, and start a food blog or something.

Please keep us posted... I wouldn't mind to try it.

Comment

I would like to try it. I could see a high temp cook over an open fire. Skin on.

Comment

BrentC Did you ever try the iguana?

Comment

I've eaten alligator sausage in N'Yawalins. I wonder how iguana would work in something like that.

Comment

When I was at Memphis in May last year I well known team was cooking this for their anything but category. I got to taste it. Not a fan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here