Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you have a hunter for a friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you have a hunter for a friend...

...so I was at work, not bothering nobody, when my friend called from the road. Apparently they had gone wild hog hunting in the South Bay and were successful. His first question; "hey, want to fire up the smoker and help me with this?"

...I have no idea where to begin. Treat it like a regular pig? I have no idea what they've been eating.

Guess it's time to do some research... :-/

The Kindle version of Rodney Scott’s book is only $6.99: https://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Scotts...s%2C138&sr=8-1

Comment

After you say yes I hope you fully document it here with pictures so people like me can live vicariously. This sounds like fun!

Comment

Raise your expectations…. Wild pork is good! Probably good and fat at the end of mast season…
        It’ll probably be skin off… Salt substantially… we helped the lean aspect of this wild mountain pork by mopping the bottom side while leaving the top side salt crust…
        Cook as you would commodity cuts… but don’t be too fast to take it off the heat…
        This was a shoat…. Mature boars are not desirable, but the shoats are about as good as gilts…
        Girly hogs are favorites!
        Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Washblue; December 22, 2022, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          Trying to decide between the PBC or the KBQ...

Eat the sows, leave the boars where they lay.

This is the extent of the knowledge I have heard...

Comment

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. I've heard these are sows.

You got this one! Research and have fun.
        Quick internet search:
        Juicy Smoked Pig Recipe: How to Smoke a Whole Pig - 2022 - MasterClass
        Take your pick on YouTube:
        (1) smoking whole hog on traeger - YouTube

I would pair it with Hot Hard Apple Cider.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; December 22, 2022, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Just let me know what your working with and I'll fix you up.

Comment

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet! We'll be in touch...

You got this, Good luck!

Comment

Here's a Hank Shaw recipe for pulled wild boar:

Wild hog BBQ takes longer to barbecue than regular pulled pork. Here's how to make your own wild hog pulled pork.

Similar to what you'd do with a regular pork butt, but a few twists that are worth noting. According to Shaw, boar tends to be leaner and have more developed connective tissue, as the boar are much more active than a farm-raised pig, so you need to cook it longer to break down the connective tissue, but avoid drying it out. His solution: wrap earlier than we would normally consider for a pork butt.

Some additional, non bbq, boar recipes:

A variety of wild pig recipes, as well as bear. Feral hogs and black bear are similar in the kitchen. These recipes also work great with store-bought pork.

Comment

Wild hogs can be very good, and they can be very gamey. Older hogs, especially boars, can run you out of the house when cooking, but younger pigs can be as good as any. Just know that going in. Tweet will be a good resource as he kills and cooks them often.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here