Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tender, Juicy, Smoked Leg Of Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tender, Juicy, Smoked Leg Of Venison

This is the part of the leg that corresponds to a standing rump roast on beef. Salt venison and store in a foil covered pan in the refrigerator overnight. Heat a water smoker to 225 degrees, add boiling water to the water pan, and add wood chunks or wood chips in a metal chip box for smoke. Add black pepper and garlic powder to the venison, then spray all sides with cooking oil. Expose the venison to smoke on the smoker for 2 hours, then wrap it in foil, put it in a large pan, and continue cooking at 225 degrees until the venison reaches 160 degrees. After cooking, pour meat juices into a pressure pot. Add enough beef broth to bring liquid to 24 ounces. Salt this liquid to your taste and stir. Add venison and two large onions cut in half. Cook in pressure pot on high setting for 50-60 minutes. You should now have tender, juicy, smoky tasting leg of venison.

I skinned and quartered a deer today. I've yet to smoke one. Have to try this one day.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
      Mudbeaver commented
      Editing a comment
      Hunting deer there?

Just saw this post. I have smoked whole front Venison shoulders in the past. One method is to braise it low and slow with beer in the pan and a little smoke. Then brush on some Sweet KC style BBQ sauce and let it bake on for about 20 minutes. The result was amazing! But I have no idea what internal temp it was cooked to. We just let it go all day.....But next time I'll use what I've learned here and dry brine overnight if possible. Then use a nice spice rub and place it in the smoker over a water pan. (Could probably even use a 26" Kettle w/SNS). I won't use much wood. Maybe just a little Hickory or Oak. I'll let that come up to about 180 degrees and serve. I don't think it will need the BBQ sauce. Can't wait to try it that way....

Comment

Soooo this sorry hunter (me, myself & I) has not brought a deer home the last two seasons. Ugggh, I should have known something was up when I shot three with a bow in 2015.

If I shoot a coyote this weekend I might as well eat it, Steve Rinella did.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Too bad you aren’t closer. I’m always looking for someone to give a deer or two. We usually keep two or three (depending on how elk season goes). Often give away more than we keep. Love hunting deer!!!

What wood do you guys recommend for venison?

Comment

The old timer that has taught me a lot of what I know quarters his deer n freezes em, smokes em for get togethers, always a hit, I cut a couple roasts into jerky once, turned out great

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here