Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting ready for taco Tuesday....everyday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting ready for taco Tuesday....everyday!

Getting my pantry stocked for some serious taco making!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D610D447-D6B4-4643-BA4B-AD6C82AEE55C.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	792113

All kinds of goodness here - ancho chile, pasilla negra, chipotle, guajillo, canella sticks, all for for adobo sauce and salsa borracha. Not pictured are banana leaves that are in the freezer, but those and the avocado leaves are going to be used for Lamb Barbacoa!

Found a small carniceria near the house that has the ingredients I need, which is nice but also dangerous! I may be there more than I need to be buying this stuff!

not sure when I’ll get after the Lamb Barbacoa, maybe Monday but I’ll defintely make up something this weekend. Maybe Tacos al Pastor with salsa roja and a raw salsa verde! And I’ll get to use my newest cast iron piece, my tortilla press!

want to give a few more recipes a try with this book before I give a review on it. I posted Friday on the skirt steak tacos and salsa arriera and mojo de ajo. But it’s a fun read!

Name:	3868DEA9-E68D-49F8-A031-D7BF6C58DF76.jpeg
Views:	510
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	792112

Just bought that book as well. I'm trying my hand at tortillas and al pastor on Sunday.

Comment

Órale

Comment

Just what I need, another cookbook.

Comment

How’s the Al pastor recipe? I’m yet to find one I really care for. My Mexican is not very good anyhow. I just use the flavors now as I see fit and find I lime that better. Some piloncillo here, chipotle there, etc...

I stopped chasing recipes and my grandma rice and beans a while ago. No can do.

got an al pastor recipe you can send me?

Comment

• PBCDad
            PBCDad commented
            Editing a comment
            TripleB would you mind sending that to me too? As I mentioned below I just made Al Pastor, but I'm always looking for other recipes.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            TripleB Please do. I’m in "No mans land"’ right now. Even with my favorite chicken thighs I made today.

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Sent the recipe to you both via private message.

I ended up making al pastor tonight. Had a change in plans so went at this recipe for the first time and really enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ve ever had al pastor, so this was a great start! One thing I forgot to add to the taco was pineapple, which would’ve paired nicely with the adobo flavor.

Name:	9585727E-751C-412B-8CA1-4E3ACA77BC42.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	792354

Adobo was simple to make, not to many ingredients and had a great aroma and flavor. Used pork steaks as the protein here and they cooked up nicely. Got a great char to add to the flavor profile.

Name:	5E431713-C845-4B6C-A2F9-3F12AB6DE7ED.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	792352

Made homemade tortillas again, and topped the tacos with a pico de gallo and raw salsa verde consisting of garlic, onion, tomatillos and Serrano with a little honey. This was a great combination of flavors. Just need to remember the pineapple next time!

Name:	937BFE5F-4572-46FC-AB03-1EAD7392B00E.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	792353

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey check your messages

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do. Nothing yet.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            The pineapple makes the taco. Grill it first though

So how do you like the Taco book barelfly ? I made Al Pastor today, and I really liked making (what I think was) an authentic Mexican sauce. Any good resources for other Mexican sauces/recipes?

Comment

PBCDad i love the book! I’ve ran it through it’s course and made a number of the recipes. I haven’t made any of the non-traditional style tacos, but I will at some point.

I don’t buy many cookbooks, but this one I have enjoyed because it provided some new things for me to try on a style of food that I love. It was well written in my opinion, tells a story about why he created this book and how he went about it, which I enjoyed. And the photography is great as well, so it’s nice for that and to show other foodie friends.

As for other resources, Rick Bayless is a name that is common when it comes to traditional Mexican food. Not sure if you have looked at his website or googled for his stuff. Then other times, I’ll just search for different recipes and compare and create my own based on the flavor profiles I see. Food 52, Bon Apetite are a few sites that I have had great experience with finding great recipes or ideas.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Th onliest days what it ain't Taco Tuesday at my house is alla them days what don't end with a 'y"

Nice assortment of ingredients there, Brother...lotsa flavour combo potentials...

Cain't rightly see from th pic, what is th tother brand, besides El Guapo???
              (Guajillo, Chipotle, etc?)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                barelfly So th Guajillos, Chipotles were th same (El Guapo) brand?
                Packagin differences musta cornfused me, sry...
                Jus curious, wanna source stuff out, best as I can, with help from my friends

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones sorry misunderstood you - so these are the brands

La Cosecha Herbs & Spices - chipotle and guajillo peppers
                El Guapo - canela entera and the pepitas
                El Jalisciense - avacodo leaves
                Bueno Foods - chile de arbol and Mexican Oregano (not pictured)
                The pasilla and ancho were in a big box that you just picked out, so not sure of the brand.

I think I hit on what you were wanting - let me know if that helps!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                barelfly
                No need to apologize to me, but I do appreciate th courtesy, an respect shown, however undeserved...

Such is both way too rare in this day an age, but also how I always roll, at least initially. YMMV, based upon how yall step on my grass. Fair is Fair.

Thanks fer yer clarification; So very sorry if I phrased my question inarticulately, an caused ya any undue cornfusion, Brother.

Reckon I was jus havin me one them conundrum, quandry, dilemna, etc., usw, an such. Tooked me couple
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 10, 2020, 01:20 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here