Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Barbacoa Tacos (scratch and sniff photos included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Barbacoa Tacos (scratch and sniff photos included)

It's been too long since posting up here — so here you go, my latest creation. This is a blend of a few different recipes and the results have told me — it will kill. Stop messing with the recipe.

Grabbed a 4.5lb boneless chuck roast and salted it the day before. The day of, I slapped some fire resistant bands on to help keep it compact/uniform, dusted it liberally with garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, chipotle, paprika.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190907_120703384_HDR.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	741906

Then I threw in on the PBC with one chunk of mesquite, one chunk of post oak, and one more chunk of post oak an hour into the bbq. The PBC was running at about 320+ for the first 2 hours before settling into a nice 290-300 degrees. After 3 hours or 160-170 degrees internal (whichever comes first) I removed it from the bbq.

Name:	IMG_20190907_154632821_HDR.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	741908

From here, I removed the bands and liberally brushed it with a homemade salsa leaving a puddle under it and wrapped tightly with foil and put back on the PBC (or oven at 290) until the internal temp hits 210. This occurred at about the 6th hour in. We weren't ready to eat yet so I threw it in the faux cambro for about an hour while making the pickled red onions and prepping the corn tortillas.

Name:	IMG_20190907_193515345_HDR.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	741909

The meat came out awesome! A great blend of smoke, spice, and texture.

Name:	IMG_20190907_194037547_HDR.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	741907

Loaded it up with cotija cheese, fresh cilantro, and pickled red onions. Some possible options - for more crunch add some thinly sliced radishes with a squeeze of lime juice over each taco.

I'd hit that.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Making this as I type. Just wrapped and returned to the cooker. It smells heavenly!

• kill2grill
      kill2grill commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on! Enjoy...I'm about to use some of the leftovers on top of a "cracked out" baked potato — which also translates to throw pretty much everything on top.

Great looking tacos. Just did some similar with el Pastor instead of chuck. Tacos are the street food of the gods !!!

Comment

Came for the scratch n sniff, was disappointed. Was not disappointed with the pics. And I too am a big cotija cheese fan with smoked foods.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Just had a visual of Huskee sitting at his computer sniffing his fingers ;0

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I just ruined my iPad trying to get a whiff of those tacos.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee's fingers smell like brown sugar... I'm sure of it.

Looks spectacular. Nice job.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Oh, man that looks good!

Comment

All I got for my effort was a flat nose.
            Great cook Sir.

Comment

Comment

My nose must be stopped up and I have scratches on my screen!!!!!

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had to go out and buy a new monitor.

....I need stitches now....
                Looks absolutely delic, great smoking!

Comment

Man that looks nice!

Comment

It sounds & looks fantastic! You didn’t fool me with the sniff deal, no ya didn’t. I did just pick up a CR & know what I’m going to do with it. Gracias! 🕶

Comment

Great looking meal! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Looks Grand!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here