Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little Mexican going on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little Mexican going on!

OK, My camera just went TA so I may not be posting any more pictures. unless I can get someone to help me get it to start working again. it's a Canon 10D EOS and it has frozen with the shutter open. I don't know. perhaps it was overloaded by the yummy marshmallows. but those were the last pics.

Meanwhile, tonight we do the prep for Enchiladas! I was bored a couple of weeks ago and tossed out to twitter, asking what I should cook for dinner. one of my pals challenged me to Enchiladas with Roasted Pepper Sauce. I looked up a recipe and made it that night, or was it the next night? anyway, I made it. starting with learning to make tortillas. I sent HeWhoMustObey to the local Mexican Grocery for Masa. I asked him to check for a tortilla press and find out prices. he found a nice one for $20 so we bought it. it took about three or four batches before I started to get the hang of tortillas but I think I have them halfway decent, now.

so, today, I am starting tomorrow's tortillas and the sauce for Enchiladas. three HUGE Pablano peppers to smoke off on the grill grates and a few tomatoes. I would consider doing them on the grill but I don't like doing the tortillas on the grill in the sloggy weather. and the grates go much hotter. with pellets on the grates, I can sear the peppers & tomatoes really well and smoke them, too. putting the sauce together today means it will have time for all the spices to get to know one another before finishing the enchiladas tomorrow.

Last time I made this, HeWhoMustObey surprised me. Not only did he eat it for dinner that night, but he forbad me ANY of the leftovers and at them, himself every day for a week for lunch proclaiming they MUST be made again. When I find a winner, I stick with it! so, wish me well on Enchiladas and if my camera decides to play nice, again, I'll take some pics for you.

Meanwhile, HWMO did a REALLY cool thing for the puppies! He brought them home a couple of pounds of CHICKEN FEET! A sure and easy way to put a smile on a Boxer's face!! and good for their teeth, too!

I thought you were done for the weekend. Did I misread that? ;-)

I love enchiladas. I make my own sauce, too, but it starts with dried chilis which are soaked in very hot water then pureed and cooked with some other stuff, including beef broth. But I buy the corn tortillas in the grocery store.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; February 28, 2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Try roasting them just a bit before the water makes a big difference in taste

Good idea, I am soaking my corn husks now and will be making tamale's with leftover pulled pork in about an hour. If you got pig feet you have to be near Georgia somewhere.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I was done for yesterday. for some reason, the old man thinks he has to eat EVERY day I don't know what HIS problem is? anyway, We decided on leftovers tonight and we'll do the enchiladas tomorrow. I'm cooking the sauce, today, to let the flavors get in there, introduce themselves and start the party. then, I'll cook off the tortillas in the morning, after breakfast, I'll julienne & blanch the root veggies tomorrow afternoon and, around 4 I'll start toasting the tortillas in the sauce. HWMO will help at that stage. I toast off the tortillas in the sauce, then he rolls & pans them. once that's done, generally 6 tortillas, I'll finish dressing it and pop it in the oven. Debating on whether to make some tortilla chips. I may do that just to have some for cheese dip since we have some of the white dipping cheese.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you fill the enchiladas with? I might have missed that.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Then enchiladas are stuffed with Chorizo sausage. sausage coating the inside & outside of the tortilla and then the tortilla is warmed, filled & shaped, placed in the pan. rest of the sauce over it, cheese & veggie sprinkled on the top of the enchiladas. then popped into the oven and cook until cheese is melty & gooey (those are technical terms)

Let it sit for about 15 min

Best served hot, add rice and or beans or just the enchiladas on their own!

Enchiladas are very versatile. you can stuff them with nearly anything. beginning with refried beans and continuing through the same proteins of eggs, chicken, beef, pork, game, anything, then there are the sauces, ALL different sausages, each for it's own reason, it's own purpose.

I made my own sauce with the last batch of chicken enchiladas. We had an excess of food, so the entire batch of chicken, sauce, cheese sat overnight in the fridge.

The chicken / sauce was all cooked together in 1 batch, and then the sauce separated and stored separately.

I won't be using any "canned sauce" again.

#1 and agree that this recipe (CI's) is far better than a certain red-haired woman's that lives on a ranch. Now her Lasagna Rollups are another story.

BTW, I do have her site bookmarked, and #1 has a million TV episodes.

--Ed
    Last edited by Medusa; March 1, 2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
      OK, My camera just went TA so I may not be posting any more pictures. unless I can get someone to help me get it to start working again. it's a Canon 10D EOS and it has frozen with the shutter open. I don't know. perhaps it was overloaded by the yummy marshmallows. but those were the last pics.

Meanwhile, tonight we do the prep for Enchiladas! I was bored a couple of weeks ago and tossed out to twitter, asking what I should cook for dinner. one of my pals challenged me to Enchiladas with Roasted Pepper Sauce. I looked up a recipe and made it that night, or was it the next night? anyway, I made it. starting with learning to make tortillas. I sent HeWhoMustObey to the local Mexican Grocery for Masa. I asked him to check for a tortilla press and find out prices. he found a nice one for $20 so we bought it. it took about three or four batches before I started to get the hang of tortillas but I think I have them halfway decent, now.

so, today, I am starting tomorrow's tortillas and the sauce for Enchiladas. three HUGE Pablano peppers to smoke off on the grill grates and a few tomatoes. I would consider doing them on the grill but I don't like doing the tortillas on the grill in the sloggy weather. and the grates go much hotter. with pellets on the grates, I can sear the peppers & tomatoes really well and smoke them, too. putting the sauce together today means it will have time for all the spices to get to know one another before finishing the enchiladas tomorrow.

Last time I made this, HeWhoMustObey surprised me. Not only did he eat it for dinner that night, but he forbad me ANY of the leftovers and at them, himself every day for a week for lunch proclaiming they MUST be made again. When I find a winner, I stick with it! so, wish me well on Enchiladas and if my camera decides to play nice, again, I'll take some pics for you.

Meanwhile, HWMO did a REALLY cool thing for the puppies! He brought them home a couple of pounds of CHICKEN FEET! A sure and easy way to put a smile on a Boxer's face!! and good for their teeth, too!
      Karon Adams Where can I find a recipe. This sounds really good.
      Last edited by Joetee; July 18, 2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Karon Adams once your done with these I suggest Areapas next you can use the same sauce and fillings or fill with anything, a big seller in NYC is shrimp and avocado

Comment

Karon Adams I love making masa tortillas by hand. I smash them out by hand between wax paper, to something less than 1/8 of an inch I would guess. Then pan fry them. Then once they are all done we eat them as enchilada stacks, not rolled up. Tortilla, topping, sauce, cheese, repeat, repeat.... My personal favorite is doing this with left over pulled pork. I let my kids get in on the tortilla making as well, and they use cookie cutters to make fun shaped torts.

Comment

Sounds fun, pics of tortilla making would be great. And...a gentle reminder this is not a General Discussion (off topic) topic, this is about cooking.

Comment

well, this post is about 2 years old, I think. anyway, I am pretty certain the recipe I used was from Fine Cooking https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/red-chile-enchiladas
              and they have the recipe for the sauce as well. we made our tortillas with a tortilla press. That was a lot of fun.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Karon Adams . Hopefully you'll be feeling well enough to be making these again real soon. Best wishes to you.

Kathryn

Comment

Also great for making chicken stock and chicken foot soup, a Caribbean and Filipino favorite.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't think for one moment the puppies got em ALL!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here