Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malcom Reed’s Flank Steak Tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malcom Reed’s Flank Steak Tacos

I gave it a go at this recipe from the "HowToBBQRight" app. The fire roasted salsa I knocked out of the park, it was so good! I roasted the veggies on my egg. I’m not sure I can go back to any other salsa. I couldn’t find fresno peppers so I substituted poblano, and I used jalapeños from my garden. Side note, I had a perfectly green jalapeño turn red in less than 12 hours (it was picked and sitting on my counter), it was bizarre.

The flank steak I hung in the PBC. It was 2.12 lb and about 35 mins later it was perfectly cooked to med rare. My only complaint is that it is not in long enough to get a crust, comes out pretty pale. I was fighting rain as well so I didn’t feel like searing it off on the egg either. So, outside of that minor texture flaw, the dinner was a success! I will dedinitely reverse sear next time. Wife loved it, in-laws loved it, it was certainly a successful cook.

Between the storm and rain and multi-tasking and 2 year old wanting attention, I only snapped 2 photos. I also am learning I need practice on my food presentation photos as well. I’ll focus on that much later in my smoking career.

Attached Files

Great job!

Comment

Food presentation is not cookin, it’s nice to have, but it’s not cookin. Ya done good!

Comment

WOW!!! That flank looks amazing!!!!
        nice job brother.

Comment

Yup, that looks great! Nice Job!

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Done great! Also thanks for mentioning the "HowToBBQRight” app. Downloaded it and it looks great. Thanks again!

Comment

Looks amazing! I see the handle of a Guy Fieiri's chef knife in the first pic. I have one I think I bought on Woot some years back. My favorite cheap knife!

Comment

• smn1285
                  smn1285 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya know what, that knife is a beast for how cheap it was. Put it through the sharpener and it’s brand new again. I’m happy with it.

Malcolm Reid is one of my favorites, cooked a number of his recipes. Your salsa and flank steak look really good, in fact I got a tortilla in my hand and I'm ready to load her up !!! Jalapenos turning red are a sign of ripening, they were probably ready to turn in your garden and decided to do so in your kitchen.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So it could be ready in time!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here