Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
Pitmaster Gift Cards

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 2 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really good tortillas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Really good tortillas

    Ok so you’re not In Texas. All you hear is how great HEB tortillas are, and they are. There’s a tortilla out there flying under the radar that’s very good. It’s at your local Walmart store! I was shocked. My son brought two packages over last weekend. We were having soft tacos with several different meat options. They are Marketside fresh soft taco tortillas. They even advertise on the label that they have only 6 ingredients. They aren’t your old big fluffy gringo tortillas, they are thin but don’t tear easily and have a great flavor. We keep several packages of HEB tortillas frozen on hand most of the time. I just ordered several packages of these to go with them. The website shows two varieties of the marketside tortillas, the soft taco and the street taco. I’ve only tried the soft taco, the others may be just as good or better. Again this is a thin, not doughy tortilla that toasts up well in a skillet. I hate getting a dough ball in my mouth when I want a taco or burrito. Try them, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.png
Views:	135
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1890745

    #2
    You ordered them, are they not available in stores?


    EDIT to add that they are not available at my local Walmart or by delivery.
    Last edited by RonB; October 2, 2026, 09:08 PM.

    Comment


    • Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      The Walmart here is 26 miles away, across the lake and down the road. They deliver here so that’s the way we roll.

    #3
    My local Walmart stocks these, I just put them in the cart for our next order.

    We have a regional barbecue chain here, and as chains usually go their barbecue is pretty average. But they have a breakfast taco on the menu and they make their own tortillas. And they're really good. The tortilla can make a huge difference.

    Comment


      #4
      I’ve really been working on my butter tortilla game, and my wife wants them in the house always now. I’ll continue to make them myself. But truly If you can find good tortillas, they are worth buying not making, flour tortillas take a fair bit of effort for all the rolling,

      Comment


      • Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        In my younger years before learning lots about cooking I always just assumed tortillas were made like crepes, just a batter that you pour out and cook. Once it was clear they are rolled like thin little pizza doughs I've stopped having any desire to make my own.

      • Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        It is very much like rolling a thin crust pizza, or making pasta, a feel for the hydration is a plus. I like playing with flour, so for me it is fun to unluck the skill set, but i would never ever offer to make them for others, way too much work.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; Yesterday, 06:40 PM.

      #5
      If you have access to a HEB store, their butter tortillas are great and freeze very well. Just take out the number you need and heat them up in a frying pan. Several out of towners take them home after attending a Texas MeatUp.

      Just in case, arrive a little early to TSA with your stash of tortillas. IYKYK😊
      Last edited by Purc; October 3, 2026, 08:57 AM.

      Comment


      • Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        You funny guy.

      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Truer words were never spoken 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🫓🫓🫓 ✈️✈️✈️👮🏼‍♀️👮🏼‍♀️👮🏼‍♀️

      #6
      I heard (and don't quote me on this) that Walmart commissions the ladies at HEB to make them some extra batches. Just reporting the rumors....

      Comment


      • Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        It could happen!

      #7
      If you can get to an HEB by all means get some tortillas there. If you can’t try these. They are good.

      Comment


        #8
        Thanks for the tip. The Mexican bakery that we frequent is also sixty miles away. I only get down about once a week but do have a Walmart in a neighboring town 20 miles that I visit more often. I will look for these.

        Comment


          #9
          Looks like they’re available locally in the closest store. One of these days soon, I’ll have to temporarily set aside my dislike of Wally World and give them a try. Thanks for the tip, Lynn …

          Comment


          • Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Walmart and USPS, I use only in case of emergency and no other options available.

          • Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Until recently I used Walmart because my son was in management there. Two months ago his entire job classification was eliminated. I have no love or hate either way for them. They deliver good groceries to our house so I use them. They did give the son a very nice cash severance package. He’ll be fine, he’s a smart hard working guy.

          • Alan Brice
            Alan Brice commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same feelings for Amazon, only being able to get the things I want by looking at a screen and in some cases, same day, I stopped being unreasonable. Plus free ship.

          #10
          Thanks for the tip. I'll be at Walmart tomorrow and will look for them. I would imagine that Sam's Club would also carry them?

          Kathryn

          Comment


          • Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I just checked our local Sam’s Club website. They don’t show them there. I didn’t see any of the Marketside products there.

          • fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Oak Smoke . That saves me traipsing around that huge store looking for them. 😄👍🏻

            K.

          #11
          They very well might be close to HEB's.....if you read the less than five-star reviews, most of them complain about mold, which means they're probably as close to fresh as you can get for a manufactured product. (Even HEB's will mold if kept at room temperature and not eaten in a few days.)

          Comment


          • SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak Smoke it’s disgusting what they do to “food”.

          • Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak Smoke We had some hamburger buns that stayed essentially fresh for nearly two weeks at room temperature. I felt I got my money's worth, but it was a bit disquieting.

          • Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Michael_in_TX is it possible that if I keep eating that stuff that refuses to get old and go bad that my body might follow along.

          #12
          Just a quick update. I had an order delivered from Walmart a few minutes ago. I ordered some of the street taco tortillas just to see if we would like them too. They appear to be made the same as the soft taco ones just smaller. I’d guess these are about 4 inch diameter.

          Comment


            #13
            We get these at our local Walmart. Not everyone likes to cook them but I like them cooked fresh.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Tortilla-Land-Ready-to-Cook-Soft-Taco-Size-Flour-Tortillas-30-oz-18-Count_341af7a6-f471-406c-b8ed-fecdf56cd603.d94439c96acf092982b7599dd65c31c2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1891275

            Comment


              #14
              I order Amanda mart to make em fresh...

              Comment


              • Alan Brice
                Alan Brice commented
                Editing a comment
                Plus he gets to hunt n fish when ever he wants.

              • texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I AM absolutely the luckiest guy in the world. Better than winning the lotto. @fzxdoc
                Alan Brice

              • Alan Brice
                Alan Brice commented
                Editing a comment
                Ohh, you've won the Lotto brother, without a doubt.

              #15
              Hellyeah , really good tortillas is an understatement. We had chicken tacos this evening using the street tortillas and they're excellent. Thin, tasty, really good.

              And Mrs Dollar told me I'd better come thank you for telling us about these. She was really happy.

              Comment

              Announcement

              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              0
              Guest
              Guest
              500
              ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
              6