Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken breasts were tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you got woody chicken breasts. Most of the time the chicken breasts I've done SV for many hours at 145 F turn out melt in your mouth tender. And then there's the occasional woody breast and there's nothing I'm convinced I could have done to make that tender. It's just not tender.

Comment

I've never had a bad experience cooking breast at 145 in the bath at a max of 1.5 hours. I then pull them, dry off and sear in a hot CI skillet or on the gasser. Best chicken breasts I have ever had. You may have cooked them too long and they lost too much moisture.

Comment

I do the essentially the same thing as Hulagn1971 . Never had a B or C cup chicken breast done that way turn out anything but juicy and delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• SmokingPat
          SmokingPat commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn -- 'B and C cup'? Now I need another measurement accessory! This SV stuff is never ending.
          PS: Thanks, Kathyrn. 👍

I suspect it was the chicken, not the process. The process, assuming not brined ahead or enhanced with a salt solution that might toughen it, as excessive salt might, should produce very tender white meat chicken. I have almost no use for boneless skinless breast meat, but in SV it's very edible.

Comment

• SmokingPat
          SmokingPat commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the comment.
          I only have an interest in boneless/skinless chicken breast as a source of plain protein that doesn't conflict with other flavors. Like chicken salad or chicken caesar salad. When meat is the star, fat flavoring is a Good Thing.
          Don't tell anyone, but I've also been known to eat tofu in my salads. About the same flavor as boneless/skinless chicken breasts. 😄

I have tried SV chicken a whole bunch of ways. I quite often, when cooking chicken sandwiches for a large group, SV- parcook to 152 for 2 hrs, then grill mostly for appearance but to re-heat. Point being is I use SV a lot as a tool.

I'm guessing your instinct is right bout just a bad piece. 3 hours and a over inflated 1.99 lb breast is usually tender but not soft. I have started cutting thick breasts into fillets just to further limit a bad chicken breast.

When I'm cooking small amount for my family, as an example, there is a huge difference in cheap chickeb and naturally raised organic, both in taste and tenderness.

If SV is new to you, keep playing with it. It is wonderful for a lot of things, but is just a tool. Clearly by comments it isn'it in wide spread use yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here