Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Ham is a winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Ham is a winner

Made my first sous vide ham today.

I used a 3.5 lb. half pre cooked boneless Berks Hickory Smoked Berkshire Ham

I used a Ziplock gallon freezer bag and the water displacement technique to get it ready to swim.

I cooked it at 145 degrees for 4 to 5 hours. (I forgot to write down what time I put it in)

After I took it out of the bath I split it and put both pieces split side down on a foil lined cookie sheet.

I next basted it with a glaze recipe I got from Guga Food on YouTube that I modified a bit.

1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
    2 tbsp. Southern Comfort
    1 tbsp. yellow mustard
    2 tbsp. honey

I reduced all ingredients in a sauce pan by half

I put the ham under my broiler for a minute 3 separate times basting every minute.

This was the best ham I ever cooked. So tender, So juicy. I’ve never had a ham that stayed this juicy. I could not shove it in my face fast enough.

I did not take any pictures and I know pictures or it didn’t happen but believe me, I’ll never cook a pre cooked ham any other way again.

I am not a big fan of Sous Vide steaks but for ham, awesome!

Adding that one to the list. Sounds great!

Comment

Sounds great - I just joined club sous vide myself; today's run was just glazed carrots, but I can say that they turned out better than any carrots I've cooked before. Last night we pulled a "Christmas with the Kranks" run at HEB literally 30 minutes before closing on Christma Eve after we heard at the last minute that someone close to my wife might possibly be home alone on Christmas, so we got all the stuff for an "emergency second Christmas dinner" that ultimately didn't happen. The meat just happened to be ham, so your method may just be replicated for our New Year's meal! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Like the idea of this. Received two hams for Christmas and I am going to give this method a try New Years Eve. Thanks for posting.

Comment

That SV ham sounds really good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here