Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QVQ Turkey

Decided to try my hand at some QVQ Turkey breast for a holiday meal at work.

1) First smoke temp started at 225 for 30 mins and then dropped to 150 until internal temp was 130.
    2) Bagged and SV for 10 hours at 131.
    3) Shocked the breasts, reseasoned and out back on smoker at 325 until the meat has some color. This took roughly 45 mins. Checking internal temp at the thicker portion showed 140.

The result was not as juicy as I would have hoped for. I am wondering if I should not target a lower smoking temp on both legs and to not have an internal temp go over 131 anywhere. This would make sense to me a bit but didn’t ring true while doing this.

Thoughts?

I would do away with the first smoke for turkey. Or finish it hotter...
    So, a SVQ method would be like 140x5, shock, season, smoke at 225x2 hr.
    A QVQ might look like season, 225x1, bag, shock, and SV at 140x4, shock, reseason, crank grill to 400+, and let it go indirect, skin side up until the skin is where you want it.

I don't care for poultry at 131.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on advice, it's not a QVQ protein

Hello.. in all my SV experience I have left the turkey breasts in for 12-16 hours (depending on size) at a higher temp (140) to get the flavor/tenderness wanted.. I believe 131 is approaching an unsafe low temp for poultry...good luck with that..

Comment

Thank you for the responses. Considering turkey breasts are inexpensive I will continue to test with some suggestions provided.

131 was the number provided on my Joule. I would certainly hope that they wouldn’t promote an overly risky method.

Perhaps I am stuck a bit too much mentally on knowing that smoke on cold meat works better. This is why I did QVQ. Again, I will try some of the above via different methods to see what produces the results I am after.

thanks.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        The Chefsteps folks like some proteins a lot less cooked than your average folks. Poultry and seafood spring to mind.

131 if you leave it in long enough isn’t unsafe but the texture isn’t what I would want. I also don’t think turkey is a great candidate for QVQ.

For turkey breast I would go around 140-150 for a few hours, shock and then smoke to finishing temp. If it is skin on, I’d cook at a higher temp to at least try to get a crispy skin or maybe smoke lower and finish over direct heat. Still not sure I see the benefit though for turkey breast

Comment

I think my main head scratcher is in why and where was the failure on the product not turning out overly juicy. My assumption was that the failure came in at the internal temperature breaching the 131 SV cooking temp.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          45+ minute smoke on the front end, then 45 minutes on the back.

Breast below 150 should be fine.

My guess is that the turkey dried out during the trips to the smoker. I haven't QVQ's turkey yet, but when I QVQ chicken, pork tenderloins and think pork chops I only put them on the smoker for 30-40 minutes at the highest smoke setting on my pellet pooper. Then I bag them and pop it into the bath at 140. This short trip to the smoker imparts a nice smoke flavor without drying them out. After the bath I sear the pork on my gasser or throw the poultry (if skin on) under the broiler for some color.If I step-cool/refrigerate prior to serving, then I will re-therm in the SV and then sear/brown,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here