Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs Question

I have a rack of beef back ribs that I SV’d for 36 hours at 150. I shocked them and put them in the fridge yesterday. The recipe on the free side says take them all the way up to 203 when I give them smoke tonight. My question is can I bring them up to a temperature much lower than that for time’s sake as long as the bark looks good and they’ve had time to pick up smoke? They’ve spent a lot of time breaking down in my view but I’m relatively new to the 24 hour plus cooks. Thanks for any input you may have.

Don’t take to 203. That’s for an uncooked rib.

You already cooked it in sous vide. All the smoking does is get some smoke flavor, get some crust and bring it up to serving temp. Take it up to no more than 150

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok that’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you

I agree, try not to exceed your SV temp by much at all. Although you mentioned back ribs, here is an excellent primer on doing short ribs, pretty much the same idea....

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa! Love that there's several different approaches and the different outcomes of each so you can kind of choose your own adventure. Guess I need to get more ribs. Thanks very cool

I'd go maybe 275* on the smoker to desirable bark. Bit of extra heat helps speed bark formation.

Do not take to 203. If it pinched right in the bag, there is no need for additional collagen breakdown.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call I did 225 and when it hit 150 internal the bark was... not bark. Tasted over seasoned for that reason far as I can guess. Added to the notebook thank you Potkettleblack

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      275-325 will bark up a sous vide project faster.
      I do find that QVQ produces better bark than SVQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here