Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Corned Beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Corned Beef?

My wife suggested that. So, search on the channel for suse vide. See recipes for about 12 hours. Anova site 30 to 60 hours. Google it. Most in the 10, 12 hour. Solicitating your input. This will store bought tomorrow. Planning for Sunday.

There are lots of discussions on this topic in the pit. The resident expert Potkettleblack has lots of tips on “sous vide que. I have save a recipe from the free site that looks great. I have not made pastrami yet so I can’t add any personal tips.
    Sous-Vide-Que Pastrami Recipe
    This recipe combines Meathead's amazing Pastrami recipe with the sous vide technique to produce wonderfully tender and moist meat that is better than anything you'll find in New York's best delis.

Makes. 4 to 6 sandwiches

Takes. 36 hours to sous vide; approximately 90 minutes to smoke.

Special tools. Sous vide immersion circulator. One gallon sealable freezer bag.

Serve with. Guinness beer.

Ingredients
    1 package uncooked corned beef brisket, about 3 to 4 pounds

4 tablespoons coarsely and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

our bbq logo

Get Smoke Signals, our free e-letter. No spam. Guaranteed
    Enter your email:

Method
    1) Prep. Put the corned beef in a pot slightly larger than the meat and cover it with cold water. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours in order to remove excess salt from the meat. If you can, change the water once or twice.

2) Prepare a sous vide immersion circulator, such as Joule by ChefSteps, according to the manufacturer's instructions and set the water temperature for 150°F.

3) Remove the desalinated corned beef from the pot and place in a gallon-size sealable freezer bag. Carefully submerge the freezer bag in the water bath until most of the air has been removed and then seal the bag. Once bag is submerged, cook the corned beef for 36 hours.

4) Fill a large container with a 50/50 mix of ice and water. Place the bag of sous vided corned beef in the ice water for 30 to 60 minutes to quickly reduce the meat's core temperature to 34 to 38ºF. Place the meat in the refrigerator until ready to smoke (up to two days ahead of time).

5) Fire up. Prepare a grill for 2-zone cooking. On a charcoal grill, place a chimney full of pre-heated charcoal briquets to one side of the grill's charcoal grate in order to create direct and an indirect cooking zones. Adjust the grill vents to maintain a temperature of about 225°F on the indirect side for smoking. Add 2 to 3 chunks of your favorite smoking wood to the charcoal for flavor. Position the lid on the grill with the top vent fully open and positioned directly above the indirect side in order to force the smoke over and around the meat. On a gas grill, adjust the temperature knobs so that one half of the grill is as hot as possible and the other half is approximately 225°F.

6) Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

7) Remove meat from the freezer bag and remove excess fat with paper towels before seasoning all over with the dry rub mixture.

8) Cook. Once the grill is ready, place the meat on the cooler side of the grill as far from the heat source as possible. Allow the meat to smoke until it reaches an internal temperature of 125°F, about 1 hour. Note that the pastrami is already perfectly cooked from the sous vide step. The goal is to add smoke to the meat while reheating it to a temperature that is pleasant when served.

9) Serve. Remove the pastrami from the grill, wrap it in a double layer of foil, and allow it to sit for 1 hour before unwrapping and slicing against the natural grain of the meat. May I recommend a Rockin Reuben Sandwich

Comment

You're not doing pastrami, correct, just corned beef? I don't know on time for SV corned beef. What I do know is that pastrami doesn't take 30-60hrs, that seems awfully long. With pastrami (smoked corned beef) you give it about 5-7hrs on the smoker then about 4hrs at 195 SV. So I'm leaning toward 10-12hrs for straight up SV corned beef being fine. However, if you're not boiling it in the traditional manner remember to desalinate first as you would with pastrami!

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        My mistake! Sorry!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no worries, the more info the better! jecucolo

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought 48 was a bit excessive. In the Pit what I read was the 10 to 12 at the higher temp. Think I'll go with that.

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

Comment

Something like 132F for 48-72 hours or up to 180F for 10 hours if in a hurry. I think that the lower and slower the better but that’s just me.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Leaning towards the higher temp at a shorter cook. Will see what the cut is like when I get it. Might alter based on the quality of the cut.

Comment

I don't do corned beef, only pastrami. While almost every pastrami spends a minute or more as corned beef, the cooking/finishing and expectation is a bit different, so the cook temp/time will be as well.

My go to for all things Kosher Charcuterie is Kosher Dosher:

He corns from scratch, but I think Meathead's soak is a good idea if starting with a store bought chunk. Desalination, then 142x40h out to 44h. Mileage may vary, as Lloyd is starting with a raw brisket and you are not planning on that.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually do QVQ pastrami but this example looks like he optimized the cook for a balance of tenderness but still sliceable for corned beef. I’ll second this one.

This is how I do SV corned beef:

Here we go again. Show us what you're cooking! III (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/108549-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-iii) was starting to act a little quirky so we're starting the next round with SUWYC! IV. Past Show Us What You're Cooking Threads: SUWYC I (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for

Comment

Well interesting story. Did the C.B. on S. V. In 16 qt. Stock pot. Decided on 15 hours at 180. Got it in about 11:30 last night. Covered pot with foil and towel. Woke to find the Anovo off bath temp about 70. Really didn't know when it shutoff. Why did this happen? I looked in the pot and 2 qt's. Of water gone. Below minimum. Anova did it's job and shutdown. I've done longer cooks and lost no water. I had the foil and towel on. But must have not been enough. I had not cooked at this high a temp. I figure the hot water was evaporating (DUH) and out.

So, went to Meathead Recipe for traditional recipe. Altered it a bit. 1st time in water @190 for 20 min not 30. Then with the fresh water brought it up to 190 and monitored it and the IT at 190 per the recipe. In for 4 hours. Don't ask me why, just thought an extra hour can't hurt. When done wrapped in foil and in cooler. In for a couple of hours till we were ready to eat.

My wife had it with cabbage and some other stuff I won't look at nevermind eat. I had a sandwich on a sesame kasier roll, mustard and slice B. H. 3 pepper Colby Cheese with a side of Cape Cod Potato Chips. Success. Tender, moist and tasty.

I love happy endings.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                At 180, you will have a lot of evaporation, not like at 135 or more normal SV temps. Gotta put a lid on a 180. I wouldn’t cook anything at 180 for more than 8 hours. There’s no need. That’s basically a low temp braise. Beyond 8... why?

Corned beef, cabbage and carrots. Corned beef (point cut brisket) was cooked SV at 180F for 10 hours (pre-soaked in cold water overnight). SV bag just had the spice packet and some weights. At the end of the 10 hours the cabbage and carrots were put in a big bowl with the liquid from the SV bag and then microwaved until tender, about 12 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corned-beef-cabbage-3.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	651897

Comment

I did a post from December 2016 comparing 180 for 10 hours (SeriousEats) against 140 for 48 hours (Chefsteps).

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...de-corned-beef

Scroll down to the middle to see my post.

Both had their pros and cons but I preferred the 180 for 10 hours. It was juicy but still had a traditional texture.

Comment

I've done jecucolo 's method twice now and while the pastrami has turned out great I am having a slight issue. When I put the rub on and put it in the smoker the rub just seems to sit on the meat. After I've smoked it to the finished temp I can take a fork and pretty much just scrape the rub off. It doesn't turn into that good bark. It's like there is no moisture coming from the meat mixing with it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what is causing it. I am cooking on a MES 40 at 225.

I've done a full cook pastrami in the smoker before and not had this issue. I like the sous vide method as it can cook while I'm at work and even though the meat turns out great I feel I should just skip the rub since it is not sticking and cooking into the meat. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Timbo54
                    Timbo54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use the same method to make Pastrami. The only difference is that I put my spices in a coffee grinder and grind a little finer and I think they adhere better. I don't think you are going to get the bark your looking for with only a hour or so in the smoker and any longer it will dry out.

• MattyV
                    MattyV commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a good idea to try.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here