Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide picanha plus a funny aside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide picanha plus a funny aside

any recos for time and temp? I was planning on 132 for 2 hours and then sear.

as for the aside...my wife is bulgarian. This is the first time ive done picanha and i told her what i was cooking. She started cracking up hardcore. Apparently picanha is a word in bulgarian...and it means "peed on".

so i will go forth and cook our peed on steaks. 😂😂😂😂

The Sous Vide Everything guys, Guga and Ninja, recommend 135 for perfect picanha. And they cook more of it than I've ever seen in all the markets I've ever shopped in, and I used to live in a place with a lot of Brazilians in CT.

I did some top sirloin at 135 based on their recommendation, and I'd wished I'd done lower. The 132 plan sounds legit. It's beef, so whatever your prefered doneness, that's what you should use. Then, time is to tenderness. Depends on the thickness you've cut em to and your personal preference. I think also the internal marbling (though it's sirloin, so it might not be well marbled at all) plays an effect, as really lean meats get a kind of powdery texture with sous vide unless you add some fat or cook lower.

2 hours probably good. Go 2 and then pinch to see if it's tender enough.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_82398.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	632763

Salt pepper and mustard powder

Comment

Are those slices of picanha? Picanhas or culottes are usually triangular shaped, unless you sliced it. Regardless cook it like a tri-tip or any large steak. Your 2 hours should get you done but like PKB said give it the old pinch test to make sure. One on the left is a picanha cooked more Santa Maria style, we love 'em !!! ....

Name:	picanha 04.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	632801

Comment

Got these from moink box and they were labeled as culottes which from google (i know) inwas lead to believe was the same thing thing as picanha. Would love to know if im cooking something different, lol

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know. Thanks

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm gonna disagree with you PKB, a culotte in French refers to the cap, as well as the Latin meaning rump, thus the rump cap. I would refer what you describe more to the Gaucho style of slicing and spit roasting on large skewers. He must have bought them pre-sliced, which is what I was trying to get at.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            So i got an unexpected Moink Box delivery which i swear i had cancelled but whatever. They were labeled as culotte and when i googled it seemed like picanha/culotte/rump cap were being treated as interchangeable.

Assuming this is not the case, what separates them?

Name:	F5113654-6290-4D2B-A4A5-F4E9E8836A85.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	632930Click image for larger version

Name:	C5AB0593-4573-4F7F-A340-DB342E94A398.jpeg
Views:	535
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	632929
          Well it was the first time ive had this cut and it was tasty. Will definitely be repeating. The wife nicknamed it the R Kelly steak

Comment

• BRic
            BRic commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice ! Making me hungry.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            R Kelly steak. lol

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like you did great to me, R Kelly it is !!!

Nice cook. Sure looks tasty.

Comment

Looks great.
            Did it have a bit of a wang to it? 😂😂

Comment

There was something zesty in there that i couldnt quite identify...

Comment

Picanha, coulotte, sirloin tip cap, and rump cap are all names for the same cut of beef. In the US, unless you get it from an ethnic market, much of the fat cap is trimmed off. In Brazil, and in US Brazilian themed steak houses, the fat cap is left on and the picanha is sliced and grilled hot and fast on skewers. Attached are pictures of the whole muscle, and slices showing the thick fat cap. Final picture shows a couple of the slices cooked on a PBC skewer.

Name:	Bagged2.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	633195

Name:	sliced.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	633196

Name:	montage2.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	633197

Comment

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. Thank you for the intel

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here