Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Que Vide Tri-Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Que Vide Tri-Tips

Tri-tips are awesome. They're hard to find on the East Coast, but when you do it's definitely good eats.

After liberally applying rub, I started these on the Traeger at 180 for about an hour. (no pics, sorry)

Next it was in the water bath at 135 for 3 hours. We had a house guest who doesn't care for 'overly pink' meat so I bumped up the temp on the SV. Normally I do these at 131.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Tip - 1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	627876

After a nice bath, the tri-tips were dried off and headed to the Napoleon for a sear. It was raining so I couldn't use the ceramic sear burner, but the GrillGrates worked perfectly.

Name:	Tri-Tip - 2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	627877

Name:	Tri-Tip - 3.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	627878

The end result was awesome, even if it was a little over for our tastes. It was the first time our house guest had ever had a tri-tip and she loved it. It was smoky, meaty and buttery tender. We didn't have to worry about any leftovers.

Name:	Tri-Tip - 4.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	513.1 KB
ID:	627879

Great Job!! Tri Tip is one of my favorite cooks.

Comment

So. Much. Awesome.

im literally drooling over that. Looks like the perfect cook!

Comment

So hungry now.

Comment

I like the colorful Christmasy lights on that Napolean! Also that's a nice knife to use for TT, IMO it's best served thin as possible.

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Larry Grover the Napoleon is awesome. I've been very happy with it. I got the Shun brisket knife at Christmas from a very good friend. It cuts like a dream. The nice thing about SVing the TT, it gets very tender so you can enjoy larger slices.

I just picked up a 2 3/4 lb. tri-tip from Winco for Sunday dinner tomorrow. Thanks for the "tri" tips! I have your setup - smoker, sous vide, and grill grates, so will work on making mine look as good as yours. Great job! This will be my first tri-tip Q-vide.

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck and share your success with pics 😃

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Done cooking now - gonna share...

Some folks like the tri-tip Sous Vided longer. Two schools of thought... I’m on the short end, but almost never make it, because I don’t see it very often.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. Prevents overcooking during the sear. Any Sous Vide item is already fully cooked. Adding more heat will only overcook.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Note: sometimes I am lazy and just sear out of the Sous Vide. It’s not as nice, but sometimes you’re hungry... hunger is the best sauce.

• MattSayar
            MattSayar commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense! I didn't shock before I seared my tri tip and the thinner sections were definitely more medium-well than the center

Awesome looking tri tip! Love the grill ! I have the same grill works like a charm

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks and I have nothing but good things to say about the Napolean.

I cooked a tri tip on the parrilla today for lunch a long with a centro de entraña (center of diaphram). My father in law was bitchin as he was hungry so i rushed it a little but still tasted good. The diaphram center is my new go to cut!! Came out spectacular and super tender.
          Attached Files

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks awesome!

Great looking cook 👍👍

Comment

Here it is... my first tri-tip; smoked on Rec Tec trailblazer, sous vide with Gramercy imersion heater in Cambro, seared on grill grates on Rec Tec. Seasoned with homemade batch of Gibson's seasoning salt for steak. Really loved this seasoning and will use it again - on all steaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_200623.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.67 MB ID:	628803

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_200755.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.29 MB ID:	628804

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_201012.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.30 MB ID:	628805

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_201201.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.89 MB ID:	628806

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_201329.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.02 MB ID:	628807

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_201457.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.08 MB ID:	628808

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_201747.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.57 MB ID:	628809

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_202015.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.58 MB ID:	628810

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_202226.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.12 MB ID:	628811

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_195604.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.87 MB ID:	628812

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190127_195540.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.06 MB ID:	628813
            Attached Files

Comment

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats! 🎉 An awesome cook. How’d it taste? Did you find it worth the extra effort? I definitely think it’s worth it. Thanks for sharing!!

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              The taste was excellent. I really liked the seasoning - rather salty and savory which I like. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of all of the sweet sauces and rubs and will try to do more savory. As for the technique, the initial smoking at 180 degrees made for great taste in the end. The sous vide worked well, but I would do a few degrees less, and longer than 2 hours next time. The searing on grill grates with ambient temp 475 was a fantastic finish. Thanks for your tips.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here