Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mushy Sous Vide Roast in marinade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mushy Sous Vide Roast in marinade

I buy a very nice hanger steak from a local butcher shop that comes pre-marinated. Twice I have sous vide the cut and had the same results: The steak comes out stringy and falls apart as I grill it. It is mushy in the middle. Water Temp - 133. Time - 3 hours. I do not get this problem smoking their hanger steak and grilling or by just grilling. I have had good results when I buy a naked hanger steak from them, dry brine and sous vide. It is noted that I sous vide the steak in the original packaging with the marinade in it. Anyone had similar issues with pre-marinaded meats?

I wonder how long the meat had been in the marinade. As the marinade breaks the meat down, then you go to cook it, it might be too much for those muscle fibers. Maybe take it out of the marinade, then cook it Sous Vide. That might solve the problem. (Especially since you are not having an issue when you cook a naked hanger.)

That would be my suggestion. I have never cooked any marinated steaks Sous Vide.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm inclined to agree with Spinaker, which is one of the reasons I never buy pre-marinated meat. But I'm a control freak!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF - I don't usually buy pre-marinated steaks, either. I suffer from the same control issues that you do. However, I couldn't get a naked hanger from them once and they convinced me I would like their steak. Not only was it good right off the grill, but the flavors made for great taco meat.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 Every cloud has a silver lining, eh!

I don't think i've ever had a pre-marinated steak that isn't at least somewhat mushy. Add that to the fact that sous vide steak is generally softer than a regular grilled steak and 3 hours is bordering on pretty long for steak and I say you have a confluence of events that form a perfect storm.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree.

Vinegar and/or citrus can really break down the muscle fiber. That's why most carne asada recipes call for no more than 6-8 hour marinade in a lime-based solution.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It does have vinegar. I think you Spinaker and shify are all on the money. Because the marinade never turns out a mushy steak BBQ'd but does when SV'd I am going to guess the combination is bad. Thanks!

At a guess, SVing with the marinade is speeding up/activating a bunch of enzymatic and chemical reactions that don't really have time to get going as much when you grill it. Maybe try SVing it out of the marinade?

Comment

"It is noted that I sous vide the steak in the original packaging with the marinade in it."

Don’t do that.

A: original packaging may not be rated for Sous Vide temp.

B: marinade at Sous Vide temp may go overdrive with tenderization.

C: marinade may have ingredients that will go funky at SV temps.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Concise and true!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here