Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koshered brisket cooked sous vide seared on hot grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koshered brisket cooked sous vide seared on hot grill?

Am intrigued by sous vide que and am thinking about trying the following method for a brisket and would like feedback on it. Will it tastes good?

I get joint pain from eating USA raised beef, but have found that koshering the beef draws the blood out and enables me to eat it without pain. Hence the following method.

Will kosher a brisket (dry brine) for about 12 hours and then rinse it well.
    Then will sous vide it at 135 or so for about 24 hours. Then chill it.
    Finally, I'll sear it over a very hot charcoal fire.
    Then will finish it with salted garlic butter.

has anyone cooked brisket this way? Specifically searing it over a hot fire. (I saw a post for smoking it at the end.)

Any recommendations?

By the way, I'll be using a homemade sous vide system. Cost about $35.

Lots of folks have SVQed brisket. Myself, only steaks & chicken breasts (I just like the traditional brisket cook better). I would dry brine for 24hrs or longer though, and skip the rinsing it's not needed if you dry brine according to the standard 1/2tsp coarse Kosher salt per lb of trimmed meat.

Check out our own Clint Cantwell's recipe here for more steps and for his temp & time recommendations: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe

Comment

• Mstrick96
      Mstrick96 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Good article! The difference between what he is calling for and my idea is that I want to sear it on a hot charcoal at the end instead of smoking it. Looks like my temperature and time needs adjustment.

At 135, I think it will take considerably longer than 24 hours, but your expectation may be different than mine.

Short ribs aren't brisket, but similar results from time temp due to the similar collagen content.

What is your end goal in this process? If you'd like something steaky, this process, with 48 hours, should work. If you want something unique, go the full 72 hours.
    ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

I'm curious about your home setup and it's ability to hold a steady temp for 24+ hours. The risk of pathogens at inconsistent low temps is pretty high.

Comment

• Mstrick96
      Mstrick96 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It looks like 158 for 16 hours will give me what I have in mind. I'll give that a try.

My homemade rig consists of a digital temperature controller with thermocouple feedback. It controls an immersion heater. It does a good job of holding the temperature within about a 5 degree band. I get circulation from convection and by locating the thermocouple probe away from the heater.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Should be okay at that temp. Wouldn’t want to do 129x72 w a +/- 5 swing.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here