Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Sous Vide Chuckie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sous Vide Chuckie Question

I plan on serving a couple of chuck roasts shredded at a backyard BBQ I’m having.

Ive decided to smoke them for about 3 hours first. Sous Vide them next and then finish them on the smoker the day of the BBQ.

Would adding some stout beer to the Sous Vide bag before I seal it add any flavor to the beef as it’s cooking or should I just let the smoke be the flavor? (Along with the salt and pepper)

That's almost a question you should ask yourself. What flavor profiles are you trying to achieve. I've never used beer but other marinades in the bag, the vacuum sealing seems to draw some of it into the meat. Yes you get flavor just like marinading with any liquid conventionally. What I have found, again for my personal taste, is that if you want your initial bark to remain in tact, at least somewhat, the more liquid that's introduced the less likely the bark will remain. Remember you will have a certain amount of purge during the cook as well. I would say experiment with one of the roasts and see for yourself. Give us your report !!!!

As always, let's do a shout out to Potkettleblack and/or Polarbear777 for their timely opinions on the subject !!!

Comment

Couldn't you accomplish the same result by sous vide, flash chill, refrigerate, and then smoke on the day of your event? Save the purge to enhance the flavor after smoking and add some moisture.

Comment

Beer in the bag seems like a bad idea. The booze won't cook off, like it would in a more traditional cooking method. Also, carbonation... and bitter flavors.

What I do, on the second smoke, is bark it up, and then wrap, and add liquid... clarified purge and whatnot, I prefer red wine or sherry, or both, but if you think the stout would be good, I'd advise doing it like that.

I would not add it to the sous vide bag.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

I wouldn’t put the beer in the bag either. Tests show that additional liquid just becomes meat flavored not the other way around.

Just sip the beer while you eat it, best flavor both ways. :-)

Comment

I am a big fan of getting some smoke on the chuckies before they hit the hot tub. Out of all my tests, this resulted in the most smoke flavor in the final product. Also, I totally agree with Potkettleblack and Polarbear777 on leaving the beer out of the bag. It will definitely dilute the meat flavor and probably negate some of the smoke you put on the meat.

Comment

I definitely wouldn't put beer in the bag. I'm Irish, and Guinness is just as often a marinade as a pint, but it won't come out well. I've tried it trapped in slow cooked beef, and my wife won't eat it. (I did, but to save face, not because it was good). I've put stout in coddle, where it can breathe, and my wife loves it.

Maybe someone else will explain 'why' it has to cook off as it reduces - I don't know - but it does.

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point - I've seen that as well, good memory. Not to mention - you have the gift of abstract thought!

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For Sous vide, you always want to precook any alcohol before packaging for Sous Vide.

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like EdF mentions, create a reduction sauce with the beer and some stock. Cool it and then vacuum and let it marinade for 24 hours. Then in to the water bath. Then create an an additional reduction from the purge if you choose.

Perhaps I saw the same technique as Ed did. It looked phenomenal!

I think instead of a backyard bbq you should change it to backyard sous vibe que. 😂

Comment

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get some lawn chairs and set around and stare at a pot of lukewarm water.

Moe, Larry ... cheese!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stooges2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	556940

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here