Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Sous Vide Tri Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Sous Vide Tri Tip?

As the topic says, anyone try this? Time/temp/seasonings, etc,

I like to get the grill going and give it a really good pre-sear. Sometimes I will also throw some Avocado oil in a heavy cast iron pan and sear the steak there first. I like to cook mine, Sous Vide, at 129 F for 4 hours and up too 12 hours. Obviously, more time, the more tender it gets.

I love to use a good Santa Maria spice blend. Right now, I am all over the Oak Ridge BBQ Santa Maria Seasoning for my Tri-Tip.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oak Ridge Seasonings rule !!

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh darn it!! OakRidge shuttered last year!! Does anyone have a good Santa Maria Rub recipe? 🔥🔥🐿️

I do it all the time. As a matter of fact I just did one yesterday.

- I buy the 2 packs at Costco so I dry brine them overnight, vacuum seal and then freeze if I'm not using immediately.
    - Directly out of the freezer into the SV @ 131 for 10-12 hours.
    - Out of the SV and into a 50/50 ice water bath for 45-60 minutes then into the fridge until ready to finish.
    - I apply BBBR or something similar and get the Smoker/grill set at 225-250 and bring internal temp up to around 115. Takes about 30 minutes. Use smoke if you want. Red oak is my favourite.
    - Apply some beef love and bring grill up to Warp 10 and sear about 2 minutes per side.
    - Slice against the grain and enjoy.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef Love!!! LFG!

I recently did a couple.

I started out by separating the muscles so they would fit in my 12L Lexan container. Then I dry brined for a day and then rubbed and wrapped for two days

Then I put them in ziplock bags and cooked them for 8hrs at 128°F. At 8 hrs, I pulled them and iced them down to about 90°F.

Then unbagged them, dried them with paper towels, lightly oiled them and applied rub for bark.

I then put them out in the smoker at 185°F and brought them back up to 125°F, brushed them with bacon grease and seared them over my SNS .

I pulled them at about 132°F and rested them for about 5 minutes. Sliced cross grain and served. They were a little more tender than usual, very moist and flavorful. I was pleased with the results.

As far as seasoning, I use salt, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon zest and orange zest.

When they are in the sous vide, I leave out the brown sugar. When they are on the grill, I leave out the black pepper.

I serve them with fresh flaked black pepper and garlic salt

Attached Files

Comment

I usually throw it in at 129 when I leave for work. When I get home I pull it, dry it, SPG it and throw it on a HOT fire. comes out awesome

Comment

I have 3 going right now for company coming for dinner tonight. 24 hour Dry Brine--10-12 hours at 134-- then a super hot charcoal sear- slice thin and serve with a board sauce. Yum!!

Comment

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes to board sauce and Tritip!!! 🔥🔥🐿️

Two theories of the crime, dictated by desired outcome. If you like some toothsomeness, you go minimum Baldwin time for the thickness at your desired steak doneness. Call it maybe 131x3-4.

If you like it more tender, 131x8-12, maybe out to 24.

Among folks ive seen post about it, the longer soak is the better result. I did one minimum, and it was good, but next time I do one, it will be longer.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to be a 3hour kinda guy. You have now made me 5.5 to 6.5 hour gentleman. My family were the judges, they won.

Thank you for all of your responses!

Comment

I have done a few - dry brined for 24hrs
          vac sealed and froze. (I purchased a chub of 6). 6 hrs at 131 then un bag, dry, some fresh ground black pepper. Warp 10
          to sear to 140 internal. Slice and serve.
          Awesome beef flavor!

Comment

OMG...131 today vac packed with ghee, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, thyme and homemade Worcestershire sauce (a story for another day, LOL). Patted dry and seared on the griddle olive oil and butter. Rested for 15 minutes and it is INCREDIBLE!!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Bob K
              Bob K commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks gorgeous. And I am am definitely looking forward to that homemade Worcestershire story on another day tbd, do share

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment
              How long was the SV?

• Spitts57
              Spitts57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry! I forgot to say that the sous vide was 6 hours. Tri-tip was about 2.5 pounds.

I've been using Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning before the sear the last couple of times and I really like it.

Comment

• RlsRls
              RlsRls commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer to sear after SV. That way beef is served hotter than internal temp!

• Spitts57
              Spitts57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Big Hardcore Carnivore fans here in Texas!

I'm hoping to hear how long your tri tip spent in the SV bath at 131°, Spitts57 . It sure looks delicious.

Oak Ridge BBQ's Carne Crosta is excellent in the searing step of a nicely SV's tri tip. I like 12 hours at 131°.

Several years ago, a few of us experimented on times and temps for tri-tip and reported the results in a SV topic. One of the most enthusiastic participants, Breadhead (no longer a member), SV'd over a dozen tri tips, carefully documenting the results. He summarized his SV Tri Tip findings by saying

12 hours... I think this is the best time for tri-tip at 131°. It will be as tender as beef tenderloin but not mushy like the 24 hour disaster.
            If I was in a hurry I would do a 2, 4, 6 hour SV cook but I will know not to expect a tender piece of meat. I would think most of us would find the sweet spot somewhere between 8 and 12 hours in the SV at 131°.

​I follow his recommendation to this day, not wanting to reinvent that particular wheel.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spitts57
              Spitts57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry! I forgot to say that the sous vide was 6 hours. It was tender but it could have been a bit more so. It was my first sous vide for this cut....and I was anxious, LOL!! Thanks for the info!

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing this info, Kathryn! I treated myself to an Anova recently, and find myself in full research-engineer mode

I think I did 6 the last time. It was perfect. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

My $0.02…. I do tri-tips fairly frequently using SV @131* for 6.5 hours. Remove from bag, sit on the cutting board while I crank up my gasser for about 20 minutes, and then sear. My usual seasoning is a Santa Maria mix. Always tender, juicy and delicious. Served with a chimichurri sauce.

Comment

Honestly I don't understand the long time frames at 131*F using SV. I also do tri-tips on a regular basis along with pichana and thick porterhouses. I generally go about 3 hours, let them cool down for 20-30 minutes while I build a roaring hot fire, then sear the snot out of them. It doesn't hurt to go longer but why prolong the cook? These are generally not tough pieces of meat.

"Works 60% of the time....all the time..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip 03.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1549335

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IowaGirl fzxdoc The ladies do have an excellent point. If you are cooking select or even some choice cuts of anything, tenderness becomes a factor. An hour or two longer in the bath does help that out. So sorry, guess I'm spoiled by superior TEXAS meat

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are indeed, Troutman . I wish I could score some of the deals you Texans can get at HEB, even, much less at some of your excellent butcher shops.

K.

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “every time” son, get that right (Brian Fantana) 😁

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here