Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally used the Anova Precise Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally used the Anova Precise Cooker

It took a couple of days since receiving, but last night I finally got to use. I wouldn't call it a cook, but more a test mini-cook, a single boneless pork chop. I used a manual setting of temp and time. The Anova app recipe called for 140, Based on reading fzxdoc thread on Sous Vide Pork Chops, I went with the lower temp of 135. I have nothing to compare it to, for my 1st shot, I was pleased with the results.

In my learning the one thing I did not factor in was the length of time to preheat to the cook temperature. So, question can you start with say warm water versus cold out of the tap? Do not know if would impact the results. Any input appreciated.

As far as the end product after it finished in an hour of cooking, I placed on a hot cast iron pan with melted butter and vegetable oil. About 2 minutes a side and the edges. I had it with buttered noodles and a red wine.

Tonight I am taking a shot at some Cajun Shrimp. It's right from the Anova App

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg?v=4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	516223

I heat up some water and add to it to get things up quicker. I put the bare minimum in the tub to start, that way the added water doesn't bring the level up too high. I'm doing sous vide egg bites this Sunday.

Awesome sear on that chop!!

Comment

I've got the water heater set to deliver nearly 130 degree water at the kitchen tap. I generally fill the 12 qt. SV container with 10 qt. of that and it greatly accelerates the heating process (especially if I'm cooking things like steak somewhere near the minimum safe 131 degree temperature). Works great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MD SV Heating.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	516236

Comment

I generally start with hot tap water (though my wife prefers that I heat some water in the electric teapot thingie). Then I put in the circulator, let it stabilize to the desired temp, and add the food. Works well, cuts active time.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said.

Hot water if I'm in a hurry. No worries.

Comment

I honestly don't think it's that significant. If you overshoot your time by the amount of time it takes to warm the water it doesn't ever seem to matter to the overall cook. SV is designed to hold your food at a certain temp plus or minus time. Of course time ultimately is a factor but 30 minutes or so is not in my experience.

Comment

I start with hot tap water (120F) if I am cooking right away. If I am doing a long cook for many hours, or doing an ice bath before the cook, I use cold tap water.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieB View Post
            It took a couple of days since receiving, but last night I finally got to use. I wouldn't call it a cook, but more a test mini-cook, a single boneless pork chop. I used a manual setting of temp and time. The Anova app recipe called for 140, Based on reading fzxdoc thread on Sous Vide Pork Chops, I went with the lower temp of 135. I have nothing to compare it to, for my 1st shot, I was pleased with the results.
            My Joule recommendation was for 140°F as well, RichieB . It was Potkettleblack who steered me to sous viding pork at 135°F, and I've never looked back. By the time I sear the chops off, they're pretty close to 140°F and perfect every time regardless of thickness.

Kathryn

Comment

BTW, I won't do chicken breast any other way now.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't do chicken breast hardly ever, but it's SV or nuthin.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here