Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide BEFORE OR AFTER Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide BEFORE OR AFTER Smoking

The title says it all! What is the common rule of thumb, should I smoke i.e. a 15# brisket for 4 hrs, and then put it into a Sous Vide bath for the rest of the time? I just saw a picture of some Beef Ribs that looked amazing so I want to do that also asap.

I've done it both ways, with good results. But I'm becoming convinced that doing the smoke both before and after the SV may just be the best method.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
      BBQ_Steve-O commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you. I'm happier with the results of smoking both before and after.

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      hadn't thought of that...may have to give it a try...

I have always smoked after, and liked the results; but I tend to favor mild smoke flavor. My impression is that smoke first is more potent, which makes intuitive sense to me; but I have not tried it.

Comment

Always before but know they got me thinking both it would dry the meat for a better sear🤔

Comment

Both.

Comment

Begin with the end in mind.
          Know your cooker.

I favor QvQ because I’m working on a gas grill that is very well ventilated, and using pellets, so it’s always a work to build a decent smoke flavor.

If if I had to pick, I’d smoke before, then sear to finish. Cold, wet, and raw will adhere smoke better. If you SV above 145 or so, the protein is generally cooked to where you won’t get a lot of smoke adherence. Of course, if you SV naked, then rub with a nice 16x16 Dalmatian rub, or use that as the base for adding more flavors, you can build a nice smoke adherence to the rub. Getting rub adherence to meat can be a bit tricky, but a beaten egg white, thin coat, has yet to fail me.

If if I had a superior smoke delivery vehicle (say the Grilla that is on order) I might go with qvs, svq, or qvq depending on time and what I’m trying to produce.

As with everything in sous vide, starting with an idea of what you want to come out the end with is generally a good idea.

Comment

Smoke first....sous vide....Smoke and re-establish bark last. I only do brisket as either pastrami or medium rare when doing SV. So agree with PKB you really need to establish smoke first, after is only really a bark tune up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here