Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q-SV'd Chuckie Home Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q-SV'd Chuckie Home Run

I've been tagged by my family to provide que for my aunt's 80th birthday. We're expecting around 15-20 partiers so I decided on pulled pork and sliced chuckies.

I've already got 15lbs of pulled pork and 3 money muscles ready...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Butts - 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	498932

Click image for larger version  Name:	Butts - 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	498933

Click image for larger version  Name:	Butts - 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	498934

But back to the chuckies. I started by dry brining the chuckies overnight. I put rub on them and popped them in to the smoker at 240* with a smoking tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63564.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	498940

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckies - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	498938

I took this as a sign that the chuckies were ready.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckies - 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	498939

After 2hrs, the chuckies were at 115-117* and were pulled.

Next they were bagged, vac sealed and headed to the bath @ 133*.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckies - 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	498936

After two days in the tub, they passed the Potkettleblack pinch test and were pulled. I used the smallest one as the test case to ensure they were as good as they looked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chuckies - 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	865.6 KB ID:	498935

The test chuckie was awesome! It was smokey, tender and had a great beefy flavor. It definitely was one of the best SV'd chuckies we've had. These should make some great sandwiches for the party.

Thanks to Potkettleblack and all the other Pit members who helped blaze the Q-SV road to Chuckie bliss.
    Attached Files

Nice cook. Happy to help. Keep paying it forward.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and will do!

Wow great job overall T-bone , that's exactly how I like my chuckies !!!

Comment

That Chuckie looks great. What is the pinch test?

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      jecucolo I take the bag out of the water and squeeze/pinch the meat through the bag to feel for texture/tenderness. Potkettleblack is the expert so he may have a better explanation.

Did one the other way around this week with a chuckie done 135x48 or 72, I forget. And then rubbed with salt pepper garlic paprika cayenne. Then smoked at 250* with hickory going, till it hit 160*, wrapped with red wine, Worcester, freeze dried shallots, super tomato paste and sherry, taken up to 190 with the grill tuned to 350, and then left closer to the left burner for half an hour, to refirm the bark.

was probe tender before the crutch. Was the most amazingly flavored and tender braised chuck ever. And was only on the grill for four or five hours total.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; May 27, 2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds awesome. We’ll definitely give it a try. Thanks!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      So this is for slicing, not pulling?

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, this was pulled to infinity and beyond. I feel like I get a bit more mileage for lunches with pulling.

The shreds are so tender, even from the long ones. Should mention this was grass finished from Moink, IIRC.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here