Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique, temps & time bone in leg lamb away from home before meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique, temps & time bone in leg lamb away from home before meal

Ok so we're all going to be away from home most of Sunday morning, but then needbto be entertaining guests and hopefully serving a meal at midday after only being back in for an hour or so.... my wife will look after everything else, I just need to sort the joint. Oh and the drinks...

I'm interested in this basic method for beef joints too

Help me, but my rough plan at this stage goes like this;

two medium legs of lamb from the freezer to the fridge on Thursday evening

Dry brine Friday evening.

indirect smoke at 225-f up to 120-ish-f IT, and then into SV bath on Saturday afternoon or evening. (Maybe with a little rest so that the external temp doesn't mess with the bag?)

As soon as we get in on Sunday pull the meat out to rest it to let the temp start to drop a little?..!?!?... and fire up some lumpwood.

zero hour minus 15min sear....

Any suggestions to improve on this? I'm basically only smoking on Sat for some smoke flavour... Will it be worth it?

what time in the bath and temp? My guests will probably prefer medium done... at least... if not fairly well done...

thanks very much

Welcome. Sure the HorseDoctor will be along shortly to comment.

Comment

I’ve not used SV in that fashion so can’t really comment. Sounds feasible. I do know that if I have guests who would prefer meat medium well or more, I would serve pork instead of leg of lamb. Could also serve lamb shoulders and use Meathead’s Sunlight BBQ recipe and take them to sliceable or even pullable we’ll done. Then you could cook Saturday and just reheat before serving Sunday. Good luck and let us know what you do & how it all turns out.

Comment

I like your plan a lot. Given that medium rare is optimal for leg of lamb I think shooting for medium will have the broadest appeal. If you were dealing with lamb cutlets you could customize things more, but whole legs SV - shoot for medium IMO.

Comment

Mary HAD a little lamb… I know, that’s kind of mean. Western civilization is experiencing a severe disconnect between enjoyment of meat and the cognizance that animals have to be slaughtered to produce it. Long gone are the days when we experienced the magic of animal husbandry from beginning to end. Now, we see the live […]

I think you can smoke to 125, bag and sous at 132-140 for 24 hours, shock and sear hot.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Good info! Thanks!

Hey! thanks for this every one, really appriciate it... this is great encouragement and advice.

too much momentum now to reverse out of the Lamb leg. We're on to stage 2 already...

Maybe I'll get on and smoke it tomorrow (Saturday) morning then...? Ok nice I like it.

shall we call it 135-f for 24h ? I's this medium d'you think? or would we Call it medium-rare? Light pink? Gr ey-ish pink? What do we think?

he he ... Sorry for all the questions... but you folk are just the tops at this stuff.

I forgot to mention the trim on Friday evening... just done it now and salted... ​​​​

​
          ​

now one last question... I'm thinking about some sheep dip in the bag...? Reckon I've seen someone on here do this..?

please shout if I should change anything.

thanks again. Very much.

wellie

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Strictly speaking, I guess that would be medium-rare. But you won't care even if you're a rare aficionado!

135 is a good idea! Tell everyone it’s medium
          well regardless of the color. Tell them it’s a SV thing and it’s been cooking for 24 hours. Save any sauce for after. SV is extractive so putting it in bag is a waste of time, effort and sauce!!! Enjoy!

Comment

Disastrous day today... well it could have been worse... but a disaster for most other things I hoped to do other than start the meat for the meal tomorrow...

got the legs smoking at the end of the morning. Best way I have of doing a nice gentle controlled smoke at 220f is in the UDS:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_143050.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	483254

About an hour in, the meat was just coming up past 100f, I was warming up the bath and with a pretty Loud pop the SV wand died taking the power with it! Reset the power a couple of times and the wand blew it again when I turned it on...

long story short, wasted most of the afternoon, spoke to a bunch of folk trying to borrow a SV stick... in the end took the car for a thrash and managed to get a new one ...

Anyway it's been running for about 6h now on 137 in the end....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_181808.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	483255

more updates tomorrow...

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn the luck! Hate when that happens! Hope it all turns out OK!

​

​

Pretty good level of success... plenty soft enough... good flavour... very jucy... massive pink smoke ring... seemed to go down ok :-D

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Good job! Way to hang in there!!!

• jackralph
              jackralph commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your questions, and thanks to all for answers! I just posted (in the totally wrong spot) regarding questions I have for Christmas dinner lamb. Your post and the related answers, has helped me with my plan heaps! Thanks all!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here