Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whole packer sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole packer sous vide

I was able to do a whole packer brisket... I actually got a better bark than I expected. The flavor was good, but the texture of the flat just didn’t seem quite right to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D79FD68B-FB16-4ACB-9066-1A77150BE6F0.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	474532

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF666691-C563-4134-9C33-267B306BF244.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	474531

Great feedback. What method, recipe & times/temps did you use?

Comment

Method details please. Thanks.

Comment

I followed the directions for the flat as written here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe

sous vide 30 hours at 155°

chilled immmediately on ice to internal of 40° then smoked in my UDS 225° until reached 125° internal temp. Took about 1.75 hours.

i actually thought there was more shrinkage doing sous vide than a normal smoke.... but that could have been this particular brisket.

Comment

Man that looks pretty awesome to me. I usually cook mine medium rare, never gets over 135*. Why did you think the flat had a funny texture? Too soft? I know in experimenting, I've actually over SVd some top round and it came out kind of "spongy", I think the proteins had just broken down too much. Was that you feeling here?

Comment

I hesitate to ruin the taste or texture of a low and slow briskie, so I keep an eye on topics like this, Jorrflv . Thanks for the writeup and photos.

I love the experience of smoking a brisket start to finish. To my mind, it's as much about the smoking as it is the eating. Just did one last week in the PBC and goshdarn it was good. Used a modified Malcolm Reed smoked chili recipe for the leftovers. Yum yum yum.

So I'll keep sidling up the the QVQ notion. As good as it sounds, 135°F briskie that looks and eats like a ribeye is going to take some more sidling on my part.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know, Potkettleblack .I smoked with a gasser for many years and still have a sweet spot in my heart for my Summit gasser. It served many a good meal, and still does.

At this point, I want to try QVQ out of curiosity. But each time I think about it, I think of the fun of firing up my smokers for a good day-long smoke. I guess at this point, I'm conflicted. First World Problem.

K

• MeatMonster
            MeatMonster commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to see folks trying different things, but I'm with you... sure it's about the finished product, but I love the cooking as much as the eating, especially those long overnight cooks on holiday weekends, where you have a beer in your hand and no need to worry about waking for work.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            To my taste the QVQ brisket has the same internal tenderness of one smoked to 203F. It’s eat with a fork tender, so not really like a ribeye steak.

I’ve done two QVQ full briskets as pastrami and now I have been splitting the difference lately. I cut the full brisket to the width I can fit for a full traditional smoke, then save the flat 1/3 to 1/2 and make pastrami and/or QVQ it.

I've done several QVQ briskets now and have not experienced any funky textures (yet?). I'm with fzxdoc in that taking a brisket all the way through a good smoking is a fun and rewarding experience. However, I also like the predictability and timing of QVQ. It's nice to have the option.

Comment

Good point, CaptainMike .

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here