Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cottage ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottage ham

Just getting into SV. Has anyone SVed a cottage ham. All advice would be helpful.

Cottage ham is just a smoked section of the butt. Seems like the folks around Cincy have their own terminology for it, and cook it not entirely unlike corned beef.

What are you starting with and what are you trying to end up with?

Comment

In Cleveland it’s called a cottage ham. Someplaces call it a cottage roll. I have a small 3# I usually just simmer and add potatoes and carrots. I was just wondering if SV made a difference in texture. Going to use for hash this time.

Comment

For a hash, I'd probably hack this process:

I'd tweak for pork, maybe sth like green onions and potatoes... maybe shred some carrot in there if that's your fancy.

I'm not eating potatoes at the moment, so not something I'd actually do, but process as pork shoulder, so 135x48-72 for cubeable, or 155x36-48 for pullable. I think I'd opt towards pulling.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Great site.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here