Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Along with Brisket and Pork Ribs I am making an appetizer of Bacon Wrapped Shrimp for Sunday. I have been researching here and online. The closest I found is method 2 below. My goal is great food balanced with having as much completed prior to guests arrival Sunday.

3 options

1. SV thin cut bacon 24 hours at 147. Pull and dry shrimp and wrap bacon around frozen Shrimp and place on smoker pulling at internal 145. If not browning or crisping; I might pull earlier and finish on grill at high temp to crisp.

2. SV bacon 24 hours at 147. Wrap bacon around uncooked shrimp and finish in a skillet with bacon grease. Borrowed the idea from here: https://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-...con-1789891175

3. Cook normal on the smoker at 225 degrees until shrimp hit 140 internal wrapping frozen shrimp with thawed; uncooked bacon.

Thanks again for your input!

If it were me I wouldn’t bother with SV shrimp. Whenever I cook bacon wrapped shrimp it’s normally just on the grill or the fryer. If I were to choose one of your options it would be option 3 I guess but I’m a little confused on that. You would smoke the shrimp then wrap with uncooked bacon?

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry wrap the frozen Shrimp with bacon and put on smoker. My thought is that being frozen would give the bacon more time to render the fat and crisp up.

I have done these following the recipe meathead has listed In the recipe section they are great done on the grill no sv. Here is the link

Create a grilled bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp appetizer with only five ingredients thanks to this award winning recipe courtesy of pitmaster Melissa Cookston. Cookston won the 2012 Kingsford Invitational by taking first place in five categories including this delicious bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp recipe.

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I'll check it out!

You might consider baking the bacon, but only until it starts to brown. Then wrap the shrimp and smoke. If it's getting close to done, but the bacon is not crisp, then place over direct heat to crisp the bacon. I have done this successfully with scallops.

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Scallops are delicious!

Option #3

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

The bacon doesn't need anywhere near 24 hours to be tender. 8 should suffice.

Every time I have made bacon wrapped shrimp, I have regretted the decision. It's a lot of hand labor for not that great a ROI.

Much prefer my blend of Kenji & Meathead for shrimp. Either A: Sous vide the suckers with the sauce in the bag (shrimp work this way, steak does not... protein density... blah blah blah), or B: brine with baking soda, salt and sugar, pack tight on skewers (kenji) and grill as meathead instructs in the shrimp Po-Boy... sauced with MH's sauce.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I dunno that he has one, as he doesn’t seem to weigh or measure the salt. I’d go with meathead’s salt level and kenji’s baking soda level.

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and glad to still see you here!
      Potkettleblack

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m glad to still be here. I guess I helped the folks who run the site identify a bug in the software around the ignore feature, which has made a difference. Also, new cooker coming. And most importantly, better head space

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here