Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen cooking?

I have a friend who swears you can cook from frozen. Is this really safe? I have used mine but always thawed the meet. And will pan sear or use a blow torch. On that note do you use a food one or home depot one?

I’ve cooked from frozen on everything except chicken. A lot of people here cook from frozen often too. For a pork butt, adds about an hour.

Comment

I cook chicken from frozen frequently Madsmoke . 275 for 90-120 min and then raise the heat to as high as the Traeger will go to finish to my liking for another 30 min or so. Meat gets a dunk in Italian salad dressing before the cook, and every 30 min until done. I love this method but can understand why many may not approve.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_7c0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	447283
      Click image for larger version  Name:	ytlyj%FjQWmwmai+quZNoQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	447285Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_7c4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	447286Click image for larger version  Name:	93vT6JeOQ%+QmSvwCpXfuw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	447287Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7815.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	447288
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks damn fine to me!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Great!! Now I want to eat again!! Gee, thanks for that. 🥃

That’s some fantastic lookin’ chicken allsid

Comment

Jiminey Crickets, I completely hate th word hate and hate bottles italian dressing........ But I would so love to eat that!

Comment

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          It was Olive Garden, which probably does not help my case much- LOL

That looks amazing! Does anyone blow torch? And if so chef style or home depot? Any difference?

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used a "Searz All" (spelling ???) for finish/plating and Negative on the HD.

I almost always run SV from frozen. Since I can cook through while guaranteeing the outside won’t over cook.

You can cook from frozen other ways if it is thin, but if thick, you’ll overcook the outer layers to get the inside done.

You MUST use a thermometer to ensure the inside is done and for food safety.

Comment

Thermoworks has a good article about cooking frozen steaks. I have tried it, and it works well. Probably not as good as a thawed one, but for a quick weeknight dinner, it was great! I also agree with SV from frozen. Nothing wrong with that.

More and more chefs are recommending grilling frozen steaks, but we’ve got the key temperatures to help you understand how to do it right.

Comment

Sous vide and frozen is a cinch and worth doing. Adds half an hour or an hour to most things. Package everything for SV before freezing, then it's as easy as heat, dump, shock, sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here