Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining Advice For Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining Advice For Sous Vide

I've been dry brining my steaks with one-half teaspoon of Kosher salt per pound for at least 3 hours when using the reverse sear approach on steaks
    based on the advice from this forum for quite some time with much success. I recently purchased a sous vide circulator and preparing to use it for the first time on a 1.5 inch thick ribeye. I recently read some posts stating that dry brining prior to sous vide is not advisable and that the salt should only be applied just prior to searing. Perhaps I misinterpreted the posts, however I am hoping for some guidance from this always dependable forum. Thanks in advance.

Nah, go ahead and do it, but go a bit lighter than usual on the concentration.

Comment

I've done some sous vide steaks and just salted them with kosher salt before the 3-4 hours in the water bath, versus brining ahead of time. I then added my regular rub before searing in a cast iron skillet after they were done. Came out great.

Comment

I don't usually salt before sous vide. I season after sous. Or on the plate.

Salt in the bag, or as a dry brine works, but SV can concentrate it, so you probably want to start at 50% of the normal, or less.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed with all. I always dry brine an hour before dropping in the bag but go lightly. You’re in for a treat, I no longer cook a steak any other way than SV. 😛

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          We usually salt in the bag with approx. 50% less kosher salt. We've been real happy with the results.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with these guys. Keep it light!

Seems to me that salt needs time to work on the muscle before cooking to denature the proteins and help with moisture loss, so I usually do it well before cooking.

With SV you’re not going to cook it to a moisture loss temp so either before or after isn’t much difference and it’s up to your taste and if the texture is the way you like it. (It can get a ham, or corned beef like texture if the salt is on a very long time). For something like steak that isn’t in the bath very long I’ve not noticed the difference.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

I dry brine for a day at least with the meat uncovered in the reefer regardless of my cooking method. If I know I am gonna freeze the meat (which is rare) I will dry brine before it hits the bag and freeze. Then I will cook the meat SV from frozen, and sear.

Comment

I vacuum pack my steaks with salt, lighter than normal, and go from freezer to SV to grill with no issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here