Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV-Q'd Beef Ribs...It's what's for Christmas Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV-Q'd Beef Ribs...It's what's for Christmas Dinner

Our oldest son was able to come home for Christmas and he requested beef ribs for Christmas dinner. Not a traditional Christmas meal, but it turned out to be a huge success....

Prime beef ribs procured from our local butcher, trimmed, salted and vac sealed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 0.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	430121

After spending 24 hours at 144 in the hot tub, the ribs were chilled in an ice bath and put in the refrigerator over night.

Next, the ribs were hit with some yellow mustard, covered in T-Bone's Secret Rub and put on the smoker at 250 using mesquite and cherry pellets.

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	430122

After 3 hours in the smoker, the ribs were at 145 and pulled. My Christmas present, a FireBoard, made it's maiden cook. I've been really impressed with the FireBoard and their app. I really like the Session Notes section to document the cook. Also, the FireBoard case with the magnets is a nice piece of kit.

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	430123

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	430124

This was the first time we SV'd beef ribs at 144. We really enjoyed the texture and moistness from this method. The last time we did these at 158 for 12 hours and while they were tasty, they were a tad dry and slightly mushy. Both methods were great, but we definitely preferred the 144x24 cook. Next time, I think we'll try Potkettleblack 's 133x72 method.

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	430125

Name:	Christmas Ribs - 5.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	430126

This was an easy and stressless cook for our Christmas dinner. The ribs were smoky, meaty, tender and juicy. Hard to improve much on this one.

Wonderful job!

Comment

WOW, rare beef ribs with a full on smoke. Looks like I got something else to try, love the SV/smoke combo .....

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the pictures make them look rarer than they really were. They actually were closer to medium/mid-rare but still darn tasty.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        at 144*, those are medium, but the color is fixed to rare.

For rare, you will want to go lower, like 129, and longer, like 48-72.

Your ribs look awesome. I'm new to the site. What is a fireboard?

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        Luke Biggs welcome to the site and thanks. Fireboard is a wireless thermometer (WiFi and Bluetooth) that is popular with Pit members and got a gold medal review from AmazingRibs. Link: https://www.fireboard.com

T-bone what is the mystery rub. I heard whispers (๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿ‘†) of it existance recently?

great write up and awesome cook. Love that color too!! Congratulations of a great Xmas cook and dinner.

Comment

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey it's not a mystery, just a secret. Just like crack, the first sample is free. Just let me know if you want to risk it. Thanks for the congrats.

Looks good!

Comment

That's a nice cook. Look forward to your thoughts on lower/longer ribs, finished roughly the same way. I'd recommend taking the smoke a bit over the SV temp for lower/longer ribs. Or treating them more like steak and less like ribs.

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the great advice and I'll let you know when I get a chance to try the lower/longer version.

Thank you! Just looking at the link. I have been using the intelli Q for egg. This looks like that on steroids.

Comment

You are a mad scientist.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here