Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-vide-que to the rescue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-vide-que to the rescue!

I really should post here more often instead of just asking questions when I have hard ones… sorry about that, fellow members. I'll try to be better about it.

This post is pure share. What a perfect result!

I bought a boneless leg of lamb and was looking for a recipe to turn it into something special. I'm a huge fan of sous vide; I've had an Anova for a couple of years and love the results. But I wanted to do something more traditional today; what's missing from sous vide is the filling of the house with the aromas of roasted meat. So I figured I'd go for an old fashioned roast or braise on this fine fall day.

On this Saturday morning I started digging through my library of cookbooks, and while there were lots of mildly interesting recipes and techniques, nothing really grabbed me. I somewhat grudgingly settled on a roast technique that started hot and cooked for a while at a cooler temp, but a nagging feeling kept at me all morning. I honestly took the lamb out of the fridge and put it back in ten minutes later three times this morning!

At some point my wife poked her head in from outside and said "are you coming out yet?!" and I mumbled "yeah, five minutes". Ugh. Nothing felt right. I opened the lamb, cut off the elastic net holding it together, and inspiration struck.

Sometimes, you need to get your hands dirty to find gold.

I suddenly decided that a sous vide start and a BBQ finish was what this leg of lamb needed. De-boned meant that this hunk o' meat varied in thickness from a half to five inches, which clearly unless trussed back up, would never cook properly. I quickly filled a pot with hot water and began the shiatsu process on Mary's pet. Olive oil, salt, rosemary, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric. No rhyme (or thyme) or reason; it just all sounded and smelled right. 140F on the sous vide machine, a shrink-wrapped hunkameat, and I was off to play with the kiddos. (I went high on the temp because all I really wanted to do was get it closer to finished temp quickly; my final, finished target was 130-ish).

Two hours later, I fired up the weber. Not too long later, I pulled the hunka out of the jacuzzi. And it was measuring 120F in the thin parts already! Well, shit. That didn't go to plan.

I threw the beast right over of the coals to get its sear on. Flipping to the fat side brought on the licking flames, but a quick closed lid cut their tongues. Within minutes, the small bits were at temp and needed to be separated from the mothership; naturally a family-wide taste test was in order and I was given the approval to continue. (These smaller bits were set aside for a future meal).

I let the coals cool and pushed the meat to the far side of the grill. Covered and left alone, dinner slowly rose from 120 to 130. It took nearly an hour (time needed for the potatoes to finish) but it finally hit 130. A perfectly wobbling, fat thigh was moved from grill to board and left to rest while the spawn set the table.

Finally, cutting time. Well… I'll let the photo tell the rest of the story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	402984

Oh, I’d bet that was tasty! Mmmmmm.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Awesome. That method is great for really tough pieces of meat too, provided you use a low temp and a long time, but as you demonstrated it works well for more tender cuts.

Comment

Awesome looking hunk of meat!!! Good job!

Comment

I'd eat that for breakfast this morning!

Comment

Well done - er - well prepared.

Comment

Just beautiful. Lamb is my favorite meat. To me, you just can’t beat sous vide + sear for lamb.

Comment

Great looking meat and a great story!

Comment

I have never eaten lamb and you have now inspired me to put it in the bucket list for the coming months. Thanks for the post.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You won't be sorry! Treat it the way he did with the spices and herbs. If you want to get fancy, try this, but use the SVQ method: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...=detail&id=891

It's very popular around here.

• hogdog6
                      hogdog6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the link

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here