Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting (or other flavor ideas for) sous vide turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting (or other flavor ideas for) sous vide turkey

So in preparation for my first Thanksgiving cook, I decided to give this Chef Steps method of preparing a turkey a try.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

The end product was super moist which was a huge plus but, as with most turkey, was just bland overall. The family members that I had taste the tester said this is what I should do for the big day and my wife loved that I could make the turkeys before the big day and remove some of the stress from that day.

I was originally going to do 2 birds but I'm now thinking I'd like to do a 3rd where I try to add some sort of flavor to the bird just to try to have something else. What I'm wondering is what others might think about injecting maybe but would be open to hear other ideas for flavors or potential concerns for injecting. I can't imagine that injecting would be a health issue as it cooks for 12/24 hours but wondering if potentially it just wouldn't really get any flavor added. Figuring worst case I just don't serve it if it turns out to be garbage since it would just be extra.

In MCAH, many of the same folks as at ChefSteps inject the breast with apple juice and maybe milk. Light injection to keep it from tasting like apple juice. Maybe some turkey stock and apple juice.

The problem is that SV, like most cooking methods, is extractive. So, as the protein fibers contract, the juice comes out... not so good for injections, which are the least integrated liquids.

You could do the Kenji trick with the breast, and cook it SV without the skin, and roast the skin separately. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...nksgiving.html

You could also do a close proximity smoke after sous vide, which I did last year to good results. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...the_grill.html
    I think ChefSteps recommended this finish in a different year. They do a different turkey prep each year so far.

My main advice would be to buy a better quality turkey. Turkey meat should not be bland, though it often is in the big birds people get. I'd recommend dark meat as it's more flavorful in general, or a heritage bird.

Comment

Very good advice Potkettleblack. I noticed that twice my SV'd tenderloins came out very bad. Mushy. Despite the advice here, I stopped using SV for tenderloin. It occurred to me that I was trying to replicate what I do in the smoker, including injecting. If you are going to inject turkey for Thanksgiving, definitely give the injection idea a try before to find out how it turns out and remember to report back your results.

Comment

I'm a big fan of heritage birds. Kosher birds will do as a substitute.

Maybe you want to try something like this for that extra turkey. https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...n-Mole-Poblano

You can very likely use SV for the basic cooking of that.

I know I had a recipe for similar spicing of a whole roasted turkey, probably also from Saveur, but I can't find it. It was one of my favorites! May have been this one; did it in the BGE: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...d-Roast-Turkey

I don't inject, so can't comment on that idea.

Comment

I haven't tried injecting for sous vide but my two different styles for turkey are either turkey breasat porchetta style or turkey pastrami. Both are always a big hit.

I have also glazed the turkey breasts after cooking sous vide and finish in the oven or grill. For thanksgiving I typically do one oven roasted "normal" turkey (as normal as a spatchcocked bird could be) and then a second thing slightly different like a turkey porchetta, sous vide glazed breast or turkey pastrami. This year I think i'll go back to the glazed breast as I did the porchetta and turkey pastrami the last few years. The only item that didn't turn out well was the faux turkey confit I tried last year with leg/thighs. Just didn't seem to work as I had hoped

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your approach. The time I made that Mexican turkey, I did 2 small birds (8 and 11 lbs), one the former, and the other more traditional. Both were appreciated. I like to experiment.

Has anyone tried cooking turkey breast sous vide, chilling it, and then smoking it back up to temperature? I love that seriouseats recipe but smoke would make it better!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't - yet. But it's definitely on the agenda! Thanks for the reminder.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here