Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No luck with my question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No luck with my question.

Didn't get an answer to a question on cooking Sous Vide when I asked before, but then again, it might have been in an older topic that just didn't attract much attention. So, I'll post a "fresher" version, here.

Love Huli-Huli chicken. Anybody cooked it Sous Vide, maybe just a couple of breast, maybe some wings? I was thinking about cooking it in the "brine-aide" and then following it up with a sear in a pan, perhaps with another couple of bastings in the pan. I'd keep some of the Huli-Huli sauce in reserve for that (uncontaminated.)
    Any thoughts?

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

I have SV a lot of chicken recently for fry, grill, pan sear and breast for salads or other uses. I'm sure it will be just fine. I would be careful on the brine though. The bath intensifies the add ins to the SV bag. I use just a little salt and fresh herb. The bag and cooking method seems to be it's own brine. That's IMHO.

To me the Huli Huli Chicken should be done on a grill. That coal/flavor and seared crunchies from the Huli (turn) and baste make it something special with that delicious sauce. However following the "No Rules" concept you will be fine.

well cooked chicken and delicious sauce can never be wrong.

Erik

Comment

My SV adventure is really in its infancy. I would be unable to seal a bag with chicken and sauce.

Comment

I feel like this recipe needs to done over the open fire. It takes a lot rotating, then basting, hence the name. You really only want to baste the chicken when the meat is in the slow cook phase. Because if you do it during the sear,. the sugars will burn. Meathead talks about this in the recipe.

You can SV the chicken before, then sear on the grill. I would avoid sear on a pan, you will get a much better sear with the skin, on the grill.

Comment

Spinaker and HouseHomey - Do you think he could marinade in the sauce, remove the chicken from the sauce, SV and then grill with the sauce as a baste? Sounds very plausible. I would be interested in the results and review if you two thought it would work.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That's an approach I'd try.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
          Spinaker and HouseHomey - Do you think he could marinade in the sauce, remove the chicken from the sauce, SV and then grill with the sauce as a baste? Sounds very plausible. I would be interested in the results and review if you two thought it would work.
          Yes you could do that, but you really miss out on the basting and flipping when you SV. There is sooo much sugar that it burns and can't be applied during the sear. Especially If you are reducing it, as the recipe calls for. If I were going to employ Sous Vide for this recipe. That is how I would do it.

Comment

Well, thanks guys! Actually, I was kind of thinking I could try something different, but maybe it's just too different. Might give it a go anyway, just to see what can or can't be done, or just shouldn't be done. I guess it's the result of sitting down here waiting for a hurricane to go a head and slap you silly.

With about 2hrs cook time in the Sous Vide, I'm not quite convinced that it would be too heavy. I'll look at it closely to determine if it still needs additional basting and might still just do it anyway. Got to get at least one Huli out of it.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Mike S.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I look forward to your experiment. I think if you marinade, SV, rinse, reduce and then baste while grilling it could turn out really good. I am anticipating your post-hurricane review. I agree that you should not SV in the sauce - reserve it after the marinade and reduce as Spinaker suggested.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Mike, let us know how it goes. I am sure it will be tasty either way. I just love that reduced, caramelized sauce at the end of basting. Great stuff! But Please let us know what you end up doing.

"There are no rules in the bedroom or the kitchen." -Meathead

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here