Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man do I like chuck and Sous Vide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man do I like chuck and Sous Vide!

Wow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	370539

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	370538

The photo makes it look quite pink, but plated it looked closer to well done which is what I'm shooting for. I had no complaints from the audience so we are good.

You can see the juice on the piece on my fork when it bent over. I don't need it any juicier. Incredible smoky flavor. Texture like steak or prime rib. Gawd that was good.

Thanks all for the help.

The cook: 2.8 pound choice chuck sous vide at 150 degrees for 12 hours. Cold shocked and refrigerated for a day or two. Smoked for an hour and a half to bring it up to 145. In the oven warming drawer at 165 for an hour.

Improvements for next time:
    - I wrapped it in foil for the cambro. That was a mistake. Took my nice dry bark and turned it into a rind like on a cheap ham. Lesson learned.
    - I will leave it in the hot tub a little longer. I'm hoping I can keep the juicyness but I'd like it to be pull apart texture like a brisket vs. cut it with a steak knife like a steak. Maybe an extra 3 hours? Maybe 4 and call it a 16 hour cook.

I would say the cook as is was perfect for a roast type meal. I'm shooting for a brisket on a bun type of cook for a back yard barbeque so I'll give it a bit more time.

Again thanks all

Yeah, sous vide can turn some typically tough stuff into a diner's dream. Way To Go!!!

Comment

Looks great. That is my favorite meal. I prefer chucks over brisket.

Comment

Yeah buddy. I'd eat that!

Comment

Looks great! Congratulations.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Well done.

Comment

I've been waiting to hear how that cook turned out, Hugh . Yay! Looks like a real winner.

Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

an update - I cooked the previous one too much but I still threw some purge and bbq sauce with the meat in a ziploc. I took it to work today. Microwaved the ziploc and HOLY COW was that good. Left over smoked chuck is officially my favorite sandwich. Beats a burger hands down.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Think of all the other things you can put it in: chili, pho, tacos, sloppy joes, meat pies, ...

Perfect! Great Crust!

Comment

Nice! Glad to see that the tweaks got you closer to where you want to be. That's BBQ.

Comment

Your title says it all! Great looking stuff!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here