Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Loin Chops ala SV-Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Loin Chops ala SV-Q

Pork loin chops were on sale for the 4th (3x cheaper than a flank steak) so time to fire up the SV and two grills to celebrate freedom.

Yesterday the chops went into the vac sealer with salt and some Lowery's Garlic & Herb marinade. This morning they awoke to a dip in the hot tub (2hrs @142).

Click image for larger version

Name:	PorkChops - 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	342536

After two hours, the purge was emptied and off they went to the kettle grill. The purge was very tasty. A mixture of chop juices and the marinade that we used as a sauce without doing anything to it except heating it.

Name:	PorkChops - 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	342535

While the coals were heating, the chops and stuffed portobello caps were getting some smoke.

Name:	PorkChops - 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	342533

When the coals were ready, next was searing assisted with the Searzall...

Name:	PorkChops - 4.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	342531

And Freedom Lunch was served!

Name:	PorkChops - 5.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	342534

Name:	PorkChops - 6.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	342532

When I do the chops again, I'll drop the SV temp to 140 since these were a teeny-bit dry. But the also could be that I didn't have an overall even sear (distracted by cooking on the charcoal and gasser grills at the same time). The purge made a great sauce and eliminated the hint of dryness. It was my first attempt at stuffed portobello caps (blackberry chipotle sauce, diced SV'd bacon, spinach and swiss/colby jack cheeses). The mushrooms were a hit. The swiss was slightly better than the colby, but that vote varied on personal tastes. These will be a return visitor on future menus.

Happy 4th Y'all!!!

Happy Independence Day, Thanks fer sharin' yer time, an' techniques!!!

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure and a Happy 4th to y'all.

That is an amazing spread. Thanks for sharing and Happy 4th!

I think I'm sold on the Searzall. I didn't get a Father's Day gift so...

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and Happy 4th. The Searzall is great if you recognize its limitations. It's effective, but slow. Nice thing is I haven't had any problems with propane/butane tastes since using the Searzall. I give it a thumbs up if you SV a lot.

• doctorak
      doctorak commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I know it won't be perfect. I like the idea of combining it with a hot grill. I also want to try an ice bath to cool the meat down to room temp a bit before searing; would allow a longer sear without overdoing the meat. Next time!

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      I've definitely been happy with combo-ing it with a hot grill. I think it decreases the sear time and works great to sear/render some of fat on the edges of the meat. I like the chill method, but only if I'm going to use the smoker to bring it up to near-temp before searing (especially with steaks).

Nice job on the pork! Thanks for the details. I'm still figuring out SVQ.

Comment

• T-bone
      T-bone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you and my pleasure. We are huge fans with SV-Q now. The SV is very time forgiving and helps us with constantly changing schedules. Good luck!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here