Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Big Chill" and salt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Big Chill" and salt...

I just got my new pig from the farmer and had pork chops cut much thicker than usual (1 - 1/2" a piece as opposed to something more akin to 3/4" which seems to be their standard). I found this article last night and am super intrigued:

Fire meets water with the introduction of the sous-vide-que cooking method. By starting steak in a temperature controlled sous vide water bath, it's rendered perfectly cooked every time. Before hitting the grill, the food is shocked in an ice and water bath to stop cooking so that it can be grilled without overcooking.

I know this is for steak, but I can't see anything that would prevent it from being great for pork chops (and honestly, I tend to prefer a good chop over a steak and pork over beef in general). As such, I just dropped 6 chops in the circulator to run for a while. The only thing I put on them initially was salt before they went into the bag since I want them dusted with a rub afterward.

My actual question is this: what do I do in terms of salt?

1. I know the pork is in a sort of wet brine of its own juices right now, but when using sous vide and dealing with the liquid afterward, do I need to salt anymore after the chill?

2. Furthermore, when I chill do I leave the meat in the bags or let it dry out?

At the end of the day, the chops are going to at least get patted dry, dusted, heated low'n slow, and then get a quick sear to finish. I'm just concerned that salt might be on the weak side if I don't add more at some point in the process and whether they should stay bagged for juice and salt penetration or opened to dry. (I'm guessing bags since the low'n slow cook to around 115 should probably do the trick at drying out the exterior for the sear anyway.)

You probably won't need more salt. Keep them in the bags and chill as planned, then take them out and pat dry for the warmup and sear. You'll be happy. Don't take them higher than the temp you used for SV when you warm them up.

Comment

1. I almost always sous vide chops and steaks. Both are cut to 1 1/2" or so and I dry brine both overnight. I never add additional salt when cooking as there is enough salt within the meat and I use Meathead's Memphis Rub for the pork. Any salt is added at the table-a gourmet salt such as Fleur De Sel or Sel Gris or any other specialty salt.

2. I chill in the bag. When warming via sous vide, the last line re: EdF is germane. After warming drain the liquid unless reducing and using as a sauce. BTW I sous vide and leave refrigerated after chilling until I'm ready to cook. Sometimes a few days later.

Comment

I've used the Memphis rub twice now. I absolutely love it. That's the rub going on the chops.

Thanks for the tips. These are chilling now. I'll be grilling tomorrow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here