Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide - Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide - Beef Short Ribs

First time doing a long sous vide cook and wanted to share my experience and get some advice combining sous-vide and the grill.

I am using techniques from Meathead's book and Food Lab/Serious Eats.

Here is my first run:

1. Sous-Vide a 4 rib short rib at 131 degrees for 24 hours (using just salt and pepper)

2. Took the slab out, patted dry and added more salt and pepper. Cut off one rib and coated with KC BBQ sauce

3. Setup my gas grill for two zone at 225 degrees

4. Used A-MAZE-N pellet smoker with Alder pellets and smoked for 1/2 hour on the grill

5. Removed the slab and cranked the burner (on cast iron griddle) for 10 minutes

6. Seared for 1-1.5 minutes

I wanted to get a bit of smoke flavor which is why I did steps 3-5. I noticed that the one rib with BBQ sauce took on the smoke but the 3 bone slab didn't. I didn't really know what to do to get the smoke to hold without cooking for another 2-3 hours so tried this experiment. Next time I may do the BBBR but not really sure when to add that; during sous-vide, just before the sear? Skip the smoke?

Anyway, here is the result. Tasted great but forgot to remove the silverskin and fat-cap (first time doing Short ribs).

Any advice for improvement is appreciated....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078-ribs.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	325571

Potkettleblack the local SV beef rib connoisseur, will have some advice for you!

Comment

EdF thanks for the vote of confidence. Let's see what he did.

Originally posted by Xtropy View Post
      1. Sous-Vide a 4 rib short rib at 131 degrees for 24 hours (using just salt and pepper)

2. Took the slab out, patted dry and added more salt and pepper. Cut off one rib and coated with KC BBQ sauce

3. Setup my gas grill for two zone at 225 degrees

4. Used A-MAZE-N pellet smoker with Alder pellets and smoked for 1/2 hour on the grill

5. Removed the slab and cranked the burner (on cast iron griddle) for 10 minutes

6. Seared for 1-1.5 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078-ribs.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	325571
      Ive been salting and peppering a couple things lately, and I don't see any improvement, so I'd go back to maybe half the salt you'd usually dry brine with, or just Sous vide naked.

131 for 24 is not bad, but I generally do short ribs that low for 72 hours. You have a lot of collagen to break down which goes very slowly at 131. So, I'd go with the 72, unless I wanted a Latin American style grilled short rib.

After cooking, Anything that I want smoke flavor on, I'm gonna shock in ice water for maybe 20 minutes. Then remove from the bag, pat dry, drop a bit of water on and add whatever rub you're going to want. Dalmation rub is fine as is dog. BBBR is better.

Id then smoke with the pellets to bring the temp back to 130.

I wouldnt sear. I'd let the smoke and grill temp bring it back to temp and build a bark. If I didn't want a bark, I might do what you did, or I would do a close proximity smoke with pellets on grillgrates.

The thing with sous-b-cue is you have to start with the end result you want in mind. If you want steaky short ribs, you did pretty much the right thing, though I'd add the ice water shock (I believe Team AR calls it the Big Chill, and Kenji doesn't seem to use it for reasons I don't understand).

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack if you were to sous vide for only 24 hours would you use a higher bath temp or is the 72 hour run time pretty much it?

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        It all depends on what I want:
        ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Consider 185x24 vs 158x24 vs 144x24... I don't think it'd do it really really low, like 133.

This incredible advice, thank you Potkettleblack ! I just signed up for the Pit to learn and grow (this is post #3) and this type of help is what I was hoping for. Looking forward to giving back to the community as well as I get better. Living in Canada I only have 1/2 the year to play around on my grill and just trying to make the best of it. I'll try your suggestions on my next cook and will update this thread with the results of the tweaks. Thanks again

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Living in Chicago, I feel your (cold cold) pain.

This is gold dust for me .. I have a water oven called a Sous Vide Supreme and mainly use it to cook quality steaks to 55c (131f) for medium rare. I then take them out, dry them thoroughly and dust them with salt and pepper, then sear them (very hot) on a ProQ Afterburner on top of a Weber Chimney Starter. That works very well but I hadn't considered doing ribs in it.

How long would you recommend smoking for in a WSM at what temperature and which wood? Do you have a complete workflow / recipe?

This is opening up a whole new world for me to combine my inside and outside cooking devices!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Short ribs, beef ribs, BBRs, SLCs or spare ribs?

The problem with pork ribs in the SVS is that you kind of have to section the ribs to get em in the thing the long way, and maybe third them the short way. It's a presentation thing.

Instead of cutting the rib racks, you can use an Anova in a large tub or cooler and SV the rack whole

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here