Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide question

I am recently a new owner of an Anova and can't wait to start using it! My question is has anyone ever sous vide something and not sear it immediately after and sear it a couple of hours later or even vacuum seal and freeze and sear down the road?

Yeah, you need to shock it in a bath of ice water and refrigerate/freeze if you don't plan to consume.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what Jerod said. Also, if you vacuum seal before sous vide, you can throw into ice bath, then into fridge or freezer.

Awesome. I can just sous vide a bunch of things together all in one day then and save it for later.

Comment

Regularly. The key thing for general food safety is to shock cold in ice water before fridging or freezing. Safety for the food in the fridge/freezer as much as the SV item. I regularly do a week worth of protein, then fridge and sear on a daily basis.

The problem you run into with doing this is reheating the food. Sous vide is a good way to reheat SV protein. You'll want to take it ~5* below the finishing temp, to allow for temp rise while searing. Slow reheat in a low oven works also, followed by a broil to sear.

Comment

Welcome to Sous vide. I have a Sousvant and one of the best features of Sous vide to me is the flexibility of it. I try to vacuum pack the items that I am going to Sous vide when we come home with them. This allows us to set up the unit and cook items that are frozen in a matter of minutes without thawing. Many items require different cooking temps so for us it would be challenging to cook several different items together before searing.

it also allows really long cooks of tougher meats like chuck steak that cook overnight and are as tender and flavorful as much more expensive cuts. Put it in and let it hold temperature until you're ready to sear and serve.

happy cooking and eating

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here