Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a chuckie after sous vide and chilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a chuckie after sous vide and chilling

I'm new to the sous vide game as well as new to the Pit. A lot of great info here.
    So this weekend I did my first sous vide of chuck roast. 2 3 lbers. I dry brined for 24 hrs then sous vide for 30 hrs at 132. One of the chuckies I took directly to the grill to sear. It was amazing! I couldn't believe how tender and juicy it was.
    the 2nd one I shocked and refrigerated. Now I want to roll some smoke over it on my pbc. Any suggestions as far as rub and more importantly cook times and temps?
    I've seen suggestions for 115 internal temp. Why? I would think going to the temp that you sous vide at would be fine and still keep it from being overcooked.
    But what do I know..Lol. that's why I'm here asking for your help. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Welcome to the Pit Helms77 ...👍

If it were me... I would take it out of the fridge, blot it dry, coat it with some beef love and put BBBR on it. I would smoke it at 240° until I had a good bark on it and until it was probe tender, about 5/6/7 hours. I would start checking for probe tender at 195°.

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto.

It's already "cooked" so all you need to do is reheat with some smoke and give it a sear. The 115 temp followed with a quick sear should do nicely. Enjoy!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And if you want to smoke it, let it bark up a few hours, but keep the internal temp well below your SV temp was. That way, you don't lose what you gained with the long and slow medium rare result.

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
    Welcome to the Pit Helms77 ...👍

If it were me... I would take it out of the fridge, blot it dry, coat it with some beef love and put BBBR on it. I would smoke it at 240° until I had a good bark on it and until it was probe tender, about 5/6/7 hours. I would start checking for probe tender at 195°.
    Thanks Breadhead. So this is where I'm confused. I can understand why I would go to 115 like HorseDoctor said.to essentially "reheat". Why would I have to go to 195? It's already tender from the 30 hrs sous vide. I want some smoke and some bark if possible but I don't want to overcook and dry it out.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I was assuming you wanted another med-rare "poor man's ribeye" like the first half only with some smoke flavor, as opposed to cooking it to "pulled beef" level, shreddable, bark etc...

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor ... I thought a poor man's Ribeye was a select grade Ribeye.😬 I've never considered cooking a chuck roast to medium rare... ever. It could be done by SVing it for a long time to tenderize it though.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead The OP Helms77 just did it with the first half of his cook. I've recommended it a number of times on this site. Even "select ribeye" costs more than a nice 2" or better choice chuck roast. It really is awesome!!!

Yeah, I can't see doing sous vide and then smoking up to high temp - there's just no need. Low and slow smoking makes it tender enough to pull.... sous vide makes it tender enough to cut and eat. But if pulling is your goal, then smoke it slow, if cutting it like a steak is your goal, sous vide it. That's why they call it the poor man's ribeye. If you can sous vide it and make it tender enough to cut, eat and chew on a tough cut like a flank or sirloin, that's the goal. Cheap meat, cooked right, with excellent results. I'm actually not planning on spending money on Prime ribeyes and such with my sous vide, as I don't "need" them to be super super tender cuts.

That's my thoughts, anyways.

Comment

• HawksJ
      HawksJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I agree. If you are going to smoke it to 195, there is no reason to SV it first.

If you just want to get some smoke on it, smoke it for 2-3 hours until it gets the color you want and then take it off. Don't let it get above the temp, you SV'd at, though, or it will start to toughen up.

I think it totally depends on what you are going for. Do you want it finished like a steak or do you want pulled beef for sandwiches? The only one that I have done I SV'd for 24 hours at 155 or 160 per Steven Baldwin's book then chilled and smoked it back up to around 140 to 150 in order to get some bark then pulled it for sandwiches and it turned out great. I didn't take it to a higher temp while smoking it because I was afraid it would dry out.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      This. You have to start with the end in mind. With long and 130 cook, it's going to be more like steak, so I would follow the reverse sear/smoke technique described by Clint Cantwell. If you want something more like a chuckie, higher temp, shorter time, smoke to probe tender/proper bark.

Hi Helms,just wondered what you settled on in the end? I tried beef ribs last week , SV for 48 hours then on to my WSM.
    Going for 72 hours SV this time and a lower temp to smoke- the WSM started to get away from me a bit,so it's the Weber Kettle and the Slow and Sear this time!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here