Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Scrambled Eggs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Scrambled Eggs.

Please excuse if these have been posted before.
    I just made them for brunch and just have to say this method definitely elevates scrambled eggs to a new level. This will be my only method of making scrambled eggs from now on.
    These sous vide scrambled eggs were inspired by an article by The Food Lab from 2009. In the article, Kenji spoke about Heston Blumenthal's edible demo of sous vide cooking and how his first course served was none other than scrambled eggs. Kenji remarked that never in his life had he eaten eggs that were so perfectly cooked.After a few attempts at scrambled eggs sous vide, my partner, Melanie, and I feel we have found our perfectly cooked eggs. While our ingredients and temperatures vary from Heston's, these eggs are sure to be a breakfast hit for everyone. The addition of cheese and substitution of cream for milk certainly makes this more of a specialty breakfast, rather than an every day starter, but they are hard to pass up on a lazy Saturday morning at our cottage in Muskoka, ON. Combine these eggs with oven cooked bacon and freshly buttered toast and you're sure to win over some friends who might think cooking eggs in a water bath might be a bit over the top.Recipe Notes: Depending on the richness desired, home cooks could remove the heavy cream and replace with milk (skim or 2%) and this results in a lighter, less creamy/heavy, composition. This recipe is for serves 4; reduce ingredients by half to serve a breakfast for two. Note thatthe cooking time for 2 or 4 servings will vary.

Interesting link. Thanks

The average person really is clueless when it comes to scrambling an egg. Low, gentle heat is the real key. That method obviously accomplishes that, and would likely produce a finer scrambled egg than many who have seen "mom" throw 'em in a hot skillet and "scramble" them until they're over cooked and flavorless.

However, for those few who do understand the process, forty minutes is a lot of time to properly cook eight eggs and the assorted additions. It's somewhat akin to cooking chicken wings Sous Vide... they come out good (when properly finished), but are hardly worth the time necessary to achieve a result similar to more "conventional" methods.

On the other hand, if I needed to deliver say three dozen properly cooked, scrambled eggs to a whole house of guests, that method would certainly seem worthwhile.

Thanks again for the information.

Comment

Just because you posted it and I was making scrambled eggs for breakfast I am trying it now. Added a half a jalapeño - will let you know how it comes out.

Comment

I just finished the scrambled eggs. They were really interesting. I prefer scrambled eggs my mom's way - eggs, butter, salt and pepper - on heat, off heat, on heat, off heat until done. Very fluffy and light. However, If I were to do a scramble - bacon, sausage, onions etc. I would use this method. I believe it would be omelette like. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Scrambled eggs as strange as it sounds are the only food I ever ate in Paris that I actually REALLY liked. (Along with escargot which still surprises me.) The SV scrambled eggs seem to come as close as I've been able to those in Paris, and Kazakhstan which are my second all time favorite. I kind of lived on scrambled eggs and Shash Leik,(spelling?) and snickers bars in Kazakstan because all the other food was so horrible.

Comment

• lschweig
            lschweig commented
            Editing a comment
            You did not like or love the moules when in Paris Cheef ?

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            The reason I put the jalapeños in was to check the egg-stick factor. When I do scrambled eggs with other ingredients I do them separately and add at the end. There is a weird watery factor that goes on if they are cooked together. This worked perfectly with the jalapeños.

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn't much of a fan of the moules but did eat them. I think I liked the escargot because the place we ate them was heavy with garlic.

Thanks for the post Cheef , I'm just starting with sous vide so I will give these a try sometime soon.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            I made mine more to the runny side--really like them that way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2904 2.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	284588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	284589Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	284590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	284591
          Cheef - I decided to give this another go this morning to test my theory that it would work well as a scramble. It was fantastic. I crisped the french fries up prior to adding them. They softened a bit. I would use a different type of potato next time. As for the rest of the ingredients - worked like a charm. There was not the residual "goop" around the ingredients I added to the eggs. I really want to try this with BBQ now. A lot of times eggs mixed with BBQ just don't mesh. That's why I like to fry eggs and put them on top. This may solve that problem. Thanks again.

Comment

This looks GOOD. I'm thinking it would make a meal in itself!!

Comment

Cheef - thanks for the tip, again. This has become a very convenient way to do breakfast. Last night I was cooking another meal. My niece is visiting. As things were cooking for dinner I put this together and plopped my concoction in the fridge. My wife is happy because it means no mess this morning. On a side note, I went to Serious Eats and tried another method that suggested a cooking temp of 167 for 20 minutes. Not good at all. I upped the temp and cooked it longer. Your cooking time and temp is spot on for me.
              Last edited by tbob4; March 18, 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here