Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Try With Meat Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Try With Meat Glue

After trying my first sous vide chuck, I was very impressed with the flavor and texture, but disappointed in all the fat and gristle that a chuck contains, so I decided to follow the steps on chef steps to remove it and "reconstruct" the roast.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Sous vide for 24 hours at 134 F. The resulting roast is exactly what I was hoping it was. I failed to truss the roast before vacuum sealing it, so I decided to just see what happened. As a result, part of the roast didn't reattach, but the rest of it came together very well. Will definitely be doing this again!

Photos could have been better, but at least you can see the final results.

Pretty solid bond across most of the roast.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8137.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	269576

Plated up with some huge asparagus.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8138.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	269577

Beautiful color. Looks yummy

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Was VERY tasty!

Nice photos and really nice link - thank you!

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

did you notice the glue at all?

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      No, i was worried I would, but even knowing I used it I couldn't taste anything. I served it to my wife and daughter without telling them I used it and they both said how good it was.

Did you smell it to make sure it smelled like a wet dog?

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, ha, yes it has a slight smell, but it also has an expiration date on it so I really wasn't too concerned.

I have seen this done with rib roast also. Looks great.

Comment

Looks really good. Make sure you let the glue dry before putting in your mouth. Wait - maybe I could sneak some in my wife's dinner...

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly what I did since she already said meat glue sounded disgusting

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Crazy glue for all wives mouths. Haha. I'm probably gonna get some slack about that. But WTH.

Beautiful

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Wow, that looks great! I still have a hard registering you can eat a chuck roast that was only cooked to 134 F probably because of all of the aforementioned fat and gristle. I am going to have to rethink this sous vide thing.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It's time + temp. He cooked it medium rare at 134, but did it for 24 hours which did some major tenderizing on such a tough cut.

• Lost in China
        Lost in China commented
        Editing a comment
        Being able to maintain ONE temperature for hours or days is a game-changer. I put my Maverick probe in the oven and it goes up and down all over the place, 75 degrees variation.

Once you can maintain that one temp, you can use time as a weapon to break down gristle.

I'm mos' def going to try this. Thanks, Dr ROK , for blazing the trail for me. I've had meat glue in my fridge since December.

Kathryn

Comment

That Roast looks fantastic. Meat glue on order. Cannot wait to try this.
        "I'm good with the smell of wet dog." Haha

Comment

Can't be any worse than the paste we all ate in kindergarten ... ...

Comment

And you picked a nice wine to go with it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here