Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor man's sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor man's sous vide

Tonight we had taco salad made with leftover smoked chuckie that I had sealed in bags and froze. I decided to put the bags in a pan with water on the stove and and run it at a low temp. The water's temp was about 170*, and it ran for about 3 hours. I think this was the best re-heat I've done. The meat was very moist, tender and great tasting. I'll do this next time I fix taco salad.

The sous vide:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0980.jpg Views:	1 Size:	276.9 KB ID:	246008

Note how moist the beef is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0981.jpg Views:	1 Size:	366.7 KB ID:	246009

Aaaand the taco salad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I0982.jpg Views:	1 Size:	323.5 KB ID:	246010

The brown peas in the last photo are some heirloom field peas that my grandfater, who was born in 1880 grew most of his life. He gave some seed to my father who gave some to me. I've been growing them for about 40 years. I like them much better than black eyed peas.
    Last edited by RonB; December 2, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Looks like it works great for re-heating but the real advantage of a recirculator is that you can get lower temps and hold them consistently for a long time.

Comment

Using a bacon press is the reason for another successful meal! BACON! sorry

Comment

Those peas sound extraordinary, a family heirloom. Awesome!

Comment

RonB

Very cool idea, thanks fer sharin'!
          The food looks absolutely great, and having the heirloom field peas?
          Among the coolest, ever! Hands-down!​​
          ​

Comment

Cool stuff. This is precisely how I envision doing sous vide. My thought is if I can control the fire in my smoker for my cook, I can control the water temp in a pot too!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Trust me, you ain't stirring no spoon in a smoker.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard Isn't that how everyone makes their smoker a convection smoker?

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              99.99999% of the time.

Great idea and I will be using it.

Comment

👍... fire & water is always a great combination. SV really is the best method for reheating leftovers.👌

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here