Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inaugural Sous Vide cook--Pork rib roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaugural Sous Vide cook--Pork rib roast

I had seasoned and frozen this 5 rib roast several months ago and decided to try my newest toy. Sous Vide is really cool!! One thing I learned is that you can cook straight from freezer without having to defrost. A real timesaver. Took about 4 hours to cook to an IT of 136 (I set Anova at 136 and my thermopen measured water temp and IT at exactly that number, so the Anova is calibrated). Kept it in the bath for several more hours until I got home at that temp. Then out of bath, patted roast try and heated up a cast iron skillet to finish sear the roast stovetop. Made some mixed grilled CSA veggies and some CSA red potatoes with homemade pesto and a 1999 Chambolle 1er red burg-- not a bad Tuesday night dinner. Butcher at grocer should have cut thru chine bone but I got a cleaver and got through it.

Nice. I just did a boneless picnic at 158.5 for 24 hours.

Comment

Jerod Broussard I hope you don't mind a few questions, trying to learn. Is that IT high enough to soften and moisten the meat? When cooking on a smoker you'd go to 200 plus, no? Before SV do you dry brine and rub? After the SV cook, what do you do to finish? Do you finish sear and/or put on smoker to a higher temperature? Thanks in advance!!!! Greg

Comment

With SV, you can get the texture of 203* pork shoulder at a temp more like 135* by going very long. I just pulled a chuck roast that went 133x54. I shocked it cold in ice water and fridged it. This weekend, I will take it out of its bag, reserve the purge from the bag, rub with BBBR smoke at 225* until it has the bark I want. It will already pull how I want it.

Those bag juices. I will put them in a glass that will hold it all in if it boils over, nuke it to boil, filter it. When I shred the chuckie, I will use the bag juice just like what you'd get when you crutch a chuckie, only purer and more delicious.

I usually SV naked protein.

Comment

Potkettleblack Thank you for the response. I did not realize you could go that long with SV. That approach with your chuck roast sounds perfect!!! I see tonight why you filter the bag juices, I tried to use my juice to deglaze my cast iron skillet after the finish sear and got a lot of shake that I didn't anticipate! Going to be fun playing with this toy. Thanks again.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack helped me out. When you go to veggies you need to up the temp to 183 in order to break down cell walls...oe whatever it is

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I'm gonna do corn on the cob this weekend. The corn is in season here and fantastic bicolor. Could eat it raw. 183 with butter for half an hour.

Well, consider, at 225*, takes 10-12 hours to render the fat and connective tissue down so that you can pull it. That includes powering through a stall and taking the IT to within about 20* of the ambient air temperature in a relatively inefficient heat transfer medium (air for radiant and convective heat).

In SV you have much more efficient heat transfer because of the density of water relative to air, so you're getting something more like conductive heat in SV. Consider, how long can you hold your hand on the indirect side of your grill at 225? How long can you hold your hand in boiling water, 12 degrees cooler? Much more efficient at heat transfer.

But, you're going at a lower temperature. The fat won't render the same way and the connective tissue will render, but it takes a lot longer. So, the same chuckie takes maybe 48 hours to get pull able. But, because it was cooked at a medium rarish temperature, the meat stays medium rare.

I do short ribs at 133x72h. Nothing like it at all.

Now, on the frontier, I'm going to do a fake dry age technique called "warm aging." Gonna SV a strip steak at 104* for a few hours before cranking the bath up to 129 for an hour or two. That should produce some of the same flavor enhancement of a short dry age without the pellicle formation.

There are a ton of SV tricks like these. I highly recommend short ribs and eggs for exploration of wild things.

Comment

Yes, I seared over my slow and Sear. I just pushed it to the middle and laid a spare grate on top of it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here