Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide and Well Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I donated a dinner party for our Church auction for 12 people.
    · First Course - Prepare to be served Adult beverages (or not), to compliment the Jalapeno Poppers of Chicken with Pineapple or Shrimp with Mango and more! (Pace yourselves, lots more to come)
    · Second Course- Ecrevisse (A fancy word for Garlic Lemon Butter Crawfish in a Filo Shell covered with parmesan cheese )
    · Third Course- Soup of Land & Sea (Tomato or Lobster Bisque)
    · Fourth Course- Greens of the Garden (Spinach Salad served with Raspberry Vinaigrette)
    · Fifth Course- Sorbet of Citrus with grilled fruit (To me sorbet is a dessert but people in the know say it’s the way to go)
    · Sixth Course - Garlic Butter Shrimp cooked on the Grill over Angel Hair Pasta and Filet of beef with vegetables to boot. (I cant cook it well done it’s a thing with me)
    · Seventh Course -A Dessert of choice Heavy or Light! Creme Brulee and Chocolate Mousse
    Coffee, Tea and Port will be available.

Only things I cooked inside was the Soup, Salad, Sorbet and Desserts. Everything else was cooked outside via Sous Vide and/or on the grills. No way to do all that and get the steaks right without Sous Vide. At least I couldn't. So even with my disclaimer a couple asked for a well done filet. I have 3 sous vide setups 2 Anova's and the Dorkfood setup so I used all three. One at 128 one at 134 and one at 146. When they were ready for the main course I seared the steaks on my Kamado Joe at 700 and put the well done steak on first and took it off last. It wasn't truly at 160 but that person said it was the best steak hey had ever had ( anything would have been better than well done ). But it was easily cut and tender to eat. ( I watched them eat it of course ). So the Short answer is it wont be like shoe leather and you don't need to cook it all the way to 160.

You can try it without buying a unit to see what you think. Put a pot on the stove get the water to temp (146) with a good thermometer. Make sure its stays steady at that temp then get a ziplock freezer bag season steak with EVOL garlic salt and pepper and place it in the bag. Purge all the air and clip it to the side of the pot for about 1 - 2 1/2 hours for a 1 1/2 - 2 in thick steak. When its done you can sear it in a super hot pan or grill. Add a touch of herbed butter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	187383 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	187384 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2244.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	187385

Comment

This gives a picture description on the different doneness of beef: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

There is no such thing as a well done steak. Overcooked like that is not done well

We do steaks a lot in our SV. among other things (pork rocks!)

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never had pork rocks. They sound crunchy.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        Chip a tooth if you're not careful.

I stand corrected ! Not well done but over cooked to minimize flavor and increase jaw fatigue. Ill need to change the next invite.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here