Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchase Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchase Options?

It seems, from my internet research, that the Anova brand is the "BIG" brand that most are buying. Although they maintain a 4ish star rating on Amazon, the consistent negative reviews do concern me.

Are these really the best choice for a home cook? What others do y'all use?

Recommendations and reviews, comments, & reviews please.....
    ​

You very rarely going to get a perfect 5 star rating on anything on Amazon. Just can't pleased everyone. 🙂
    BTW... I only used my Anova for steaks and I really like it.
    Last edited by DWCowles; June 25, 2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

The Anova works great. You (or at least I) really don't need the WiFi version (which I have). The new mounting bracket pretty much solves all the problems that the first version had.

Comment

I have these sous vide devices - an Anova, a Nomiku, an Oliso Smarthub, and a PID controller for a crockpot. They all do the job.

The Anova I have is the one with just Bluetooth (which I never use). I wouldn't pay extra for Wifi. I'm not familiar with the reviews on Amazon - what are the major complaints?

I have never had any problems with the Anova and it is very easy to setup and use. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          The complaints that stand out are shutting itself off during the cook, total failure after a handful of cooks, and terrible customer service when either of these occur.

Love my Anova

Comment

I have 2 Anova's, the original model and the newish WiFi model. Both have performed flawlessly.

-Dave

Comment

I have 2 Bluetooth Anova circulator's and never use the Bluetooth feature. I've NEVER had a problem with either of them. My next purchase will be the Joule from ChefSteps because of the smaller size.

Comment

I have 1 Anova WiFi and have not had any problems with it.

Comment

I have 2 Anova Bluetooth units and they are great. 1 Dorkfood controller a fish tank heater and wave pump for my large ice chest cooks and 2 Chef Step Joule on order ( One for my son who is going to Texas Tech this fall thats moms face) and one for me just because I like my cooking gadgets,!!!

Comment

Also worth a look - Joule (ships in September), Nomiku WiFi, VacMaster SV1.

Comment

I have an industrial sous vide, but right now I'm cooking a roast in a cooler box on my kitchen floor. If I crank up my hot water heater, I get 58C from the tap. If the temp drops below 55 in a few hours I add a pot of boiling water from the stove. While the precision of a dedicated unit is nice for some things, it's not really necessary. A brief spike in temperature will not have any noticeable effect on the outcome, and so long as it doesn't drop well below 54 for any length of time, safety is not a worry. I know that my big cooler only looses about a half degree per hour.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're absolutely correct! One doesn't need to spend a lot of money to try sous vide cooking.

I have a bluetooth Anova and one day it just stopped working. This was after around 5 cooks. I emailed tech support and they shipped me a new one asap. Had it in three days I believe.

Comment

I have an Anova, guess it's a model 1. No wifi or bluetooth. LOVE IT. Hey, if anyone has a model 1 they want to get rid of, let me know. Haven't had any issues with it (knock wood) and we use it almost weekly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here