Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burger Rings - Anyone tried stainless steel?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Burger Rings - Anyone tried stainless steel?

    Hello folks,

    Been feeling a bit better so I am doing more cooking. So I preparing to do some more experiments with sous vide burgers. My previous experiments were quite successful.

    I had been lusting after those plastic rings Kathryn shared with us about. But I am cheap and they are not. Plus, in the past couple of years there's been a lot of concern about micro plastics. Not a whole lot to be done about the plastic bags, but it occured to me I could use stainless steel rings instead of plastic. The rings should arrive later this week.

    Has anyone tried using something like biscuit cutters before.


    #2
    How did you get on with this method?! I can't see a reason to SV a burger... but I know it has been done before.

    Would suggest forming the patties, freezing, vac-sealing and then cooking. Should keep the shape.

    Or just use the water-displacement method, which will get you pretty much the same result. It's the suction that'll kill your shape after all...

    Comment


    • Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      The big advantage for sous vide is the pasteurization that occurs, so if done properly you can safely eat rare to medium burgers if so desired. Just remember the thickness of your patty will effect how long you have to hold at your target temperature to achieve pasteurization.

    • dotcodotuk
      dotcodotuk commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a concern you have regarding ground meat you are buying or when you are making your own burgers from meat you ground?

    #3
    I am addicted to smashing my burgers, and doubt that I will ever go back.

    Comment


    • Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven’t made a burger that wasn’t a smash burger in 8 years! 😎

    #4
    I have not done this with burgers (or sous vide them), but I do have some stainless steel forms I can use for eggs on the griddle. They work perfectly fine. I'm like drobinson and have been smashing the crap outta my burgers since getting the Blackstone.

    Curious though, you mention plastic rings? You sure they're not silicone? Usually good quality silicone stuff is pretty pricey.

    Comment


      #5
      I can't recall where I saw the plastic one's but they claimed to be a new an novel solution. The stainless steel ones have worked fine. The SV burgers have a denser texture and the family doesn't really like them despite the fact they like rare burgers.

      Comment


        #6
        Rather than vac sealing burgers for SV, use the displacement method. It’s much more gentle and won’t crush them … effectively making rings (plastic or steel) pretty much unnecessary.

        Comment

        Announcement

        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        0
        Guest
        Guest
        500
        ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
        7