Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide steak ready when I get home from work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide steak ready when I get home from work.

Looking for some input please. I would like to pre sear, season, vacuum seal and freeze a 1 ½ inch rib eye steak. Then when I leave for work around 7 AM put the frozen steak in a pot of tap water with my Anova WI Fi precision cooker. Around 2 PM later that day I will connect to my Anova Wi Fi and begin the cook set at 134 degrees for 4 hours. When I arrive home at 6 PM, pull the steak out of the bath and sear on my Weber gas grill with the flat side up on GrillGrates . Anyone see a problem with this method?

Personally, I would be nervous about the safety of that steak, even frozen. That's a long time for the meat to sit in water that keeps at least the outermost area in the danger zone. It will thaw pretty quickly in a pot of water because of how fast the water conducts heat. Now if it was mostly ice with some water, and you could keep an eye on the temp remotely, it might be a different matter. I would expect that the circulator would melt the ice in a reasonably short time and shoot through the danger zone.

Maybe simulate the conditions with an ice pack, just to see how the whole thing behaves?

Comment

• Rick Walker
      Rick Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      My thought for the saftey of the steak was it would be held above 130 Degress for 4 hours and would be pasturized.

I don't know anything about sous vide cooking but isn't that the process in reverse, I thought that the sear was the last step. Wouldn't it just turn to mush?

Comment

Pre and post sear is fine. A couple of hours won't turn it to mush

Comment

• ribeyeguy
        ribeyeguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Dewesq,
        If he sears it first and then sous vides it for some 11 hours is the seared crust really going to have any texture left, even with a second sear? Again, I know next to nothing about this style of cooking so it's entirely possible (likely) that I'm wrong.

I think he was talking about remotely staring the sous vide in the afternoon via Wi-Fi, not cooking it for 11 hours. The first sear is for color/flavor, not really crust, which is what the second sear is for.

Comment

Okay but the way I read it is that he's going to put the pre-seared, re-frozen steak in the water at 7 am and leave it there until 6 pm and then give it a second sear on a gas grill. If I'm reading him right, what do you think?

Comment

Ah, I just re-read his post, in the water at 7 am but the actual cook doesnt starts until 2 pm. My apologies for mis-reading it.

Comment

So it will only take a raw 1.5" steak an hour to come to 125f from frozen. So I would put the Anova in just water and start the water heating so when you get home it's at 125f. When you get home plop the steak in the bath, relax, make a salad or sides, have a glass of wine and start heating the grill. Then sear your steak.

Now if you take the steak out of the freezer before leaving for work and let it thaw in the fridge it will take even less time to heat.

I preseason the steak before vacuum sealing.

I used 125 above because I like my steaks rare to medium rare and when I seared on the Weber with grill grates it cooked the interior to 132 or so. Now I use the Sansaire searing torch and it barely raises the internal temp so I now use 130 for the bath.

Comment

Another thought is to really take advantage of Sous Vide and use a cheaper cut like a chuck steak and start it the night before, then sear when you get home. It will be tender like the ribeye but have more flavor because it's chuck. It will cost you less than half to boot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here